Tuesday, June 22, 2010

sunshine on my shoulders






When you live just a few miles from a beautiful state park it is easy to take it for granted, traveling miles away to other parks instead. Last week I scooted over to Amicalola Falls to pick up an annual park pass (yes, that is what he wanted for Father's Day), and I didn't even drive up to the top for the view, did not see the waterfalls, did not hike on any of the trails or climb the 604 steps. Just a quick trip into the visitor center for my business.

Speaking of the visitor center, what is up with all those snakes? They are on display right in the center of the building between the door and the info desk, you have to walk around them. Usually it is easy to avert your eyes or pretend they are not there because most of the time they are sleeping, but not this time. They were performing for all the tourists, slithering and climbing around in their glass cages, good grief!

So I got out of there as quickly as possible and because of the oppressive heat and humidity (a.k.a. summer in Georgia) headed for my air conditioned car, but to get there had to pass through these beautiful flowers at the visitor center. At least something is thriving out in this hot weather!

The showers in April might get the May flowers started, but the hot June sun makes them grow tall and strong and brings out the vivid colors - the daisies were almost waist-high! You can almost see them smiling and shhhh, is that them singing... sunshine on my shoulders makes me happy...


~photos 17 June 2010 Amicalola Falls State Park

spring