Friday, May 26, 2006

step aerobics

On Wednesday afternoon, we drove over to Amicalola Falls State Park after work (daughter Melissa, granddaughter Racheal, and I). It is close to here, about 8 miles as the crow flies, about 20 minutes around the curvy mountain roads. The falls and lodge can be seen for miles around. The 729-foot falls is the tallest cascading waterfall east of the Mississippi River. Amicalola is a Cherokee Indian word meaning "tumbling waters".


Since I can remember, a trail has been in place from the base of the falls about halfway up, with a viewing platform. But within the past few years, new steps have been constructed going all the way up to the top of the falls, 604 steps in all. This was our goal.

We stopped in the visitor center and checked out the T-shirts "I survived 604 steps," and told the clerk we were going to climb the steps and would be back for our shirts.

We climbed the steps up and down, Racheal did the math and said the shirt should say 1208 steps. But when we got back to the shop, it was closed.

Amicalola Falls park is the southernmost beginning point of the Appalachian Trail. We met some hikers loaded down with backpacks, bedrolls, etc. and asked them about their hike. They were coming back after being gone for 3 days, saying how rough it was, they couldn't find any water, and never did make it to Springer Mountain. (Note: Springer Mountain is the official Southern end of the AT, uphill 8.5 miles on the approach trail from Amicalola Falls)



We accomplished part of our goal, the steps - been there, done that - but no T-shirt to prove it, maybe today we will go back just for shopping.

Amicalola Falls State Park
previous AT thoughts

9 comments:

Glacial Wanderer said...

I live not too far from the Appalachian Trail. While my home in Massachusetts is somewhere in the middle of the trail, I'm much closer to the Maine end. I'd love to through hike the trail someday. Sorry you didn't get your t-shirts, but if you go back and do the 1208 steps again then the shirts will be really modest by stating that you climbed only 604 steps!

KCQuilter said...

Oh, bummer! I've done a few things on vacations JUST TO GET THE DANG T-SHIRT! LOL

TUFFENUF said...

This place looks beautiful. I HAVE to go camping soon - you're killing me!

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

This park sounds great and the 604 steps sound like a real challenge to me...I would have to have that t-shirt if I climbed that many steps.

Natural Bridge State parks has almost as many steps going to the pool...I was never so happy to see a rain storm.

Donnak said...

I think the shirts should say 1208 steps also. I wuld have had to take a sleeping bag to spend the night at the top, then come back down the next day. lol I don't think I could climb/decend that many steps in 1 day!

Sorry you didn't get your shirts. What a rip-off! lol Did you go back for them?

Donnak said...

oops! I meant I would have had to take, not wuld.

I think it's officially bedtime now!

susan said...

Addendum: Mission accomplished, went back and got our shirts! AND thanks to judith for sending me a great idea!

doubleknot said...

Glad you got your shirts - you deserved them after that climb but I bet you all had a great time.

cher said...

sounds like it was a very fun day and now that you have the t-shirt..I suppose that means you don't have to climb those stairs again :-)