Thursday, September 14, 2006

doll houses

Went to a local quilt store to look for lining fabric for the Dutch Doll quilt. The saleslady pulled out this 30s print, the colors were right, but she said "Oh, it has houses on it!" and started to put it back. But I liked it, so here it is.

I was surprised at the high prices at the specialty store - I guess I have been shopping at WalMart too long. But WalMart didn't have anything I liked and the next option would be to drive toward Atlanta and take half a day. This print is fine with me!

The batting has been laying out for over a week to 'air out and fluff up'. So the top is done, the lining is bought, the batting is ready, no excuses now, I just need to get started putting it all together. I just still haven't decided how I want to quilt it yet.

Dutch Doll origin

10 comments:

Pam said...

The backing you have is just right for your little ladies. Quilting? I usually do the boring way out and quilt around the piecing or do zoom lines. If I send my quilts out I have more choices but some quilts NEED hand quilting rather than machine quilting.

catsmum said...

hi susan
thanks for visiting my blog... thought I'd return the compliment. btw if you think LQS prices are high in the US try paying nearly $30 a metre [ about $25-26 a yd] like we do here in OZtralia :]

Motherkitty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Motherkitty said...

So, Susan, the little Dutch dolls are going to be a quilt and not a wall hanging? The backing you chose is just perfect. I'm sure it will look lovely when you get done. Can't wait to see the completed piece.

Have you ever done a finished quilt by hand-sewing it (quilting) after you put it together? I would think that would be terribly difficult vs. sewing it by machine.

colleen said...

I made a patchwork quilt once. I didn't know what I was doing. I just sewed pieces I liked together and onto a white blanket backing. Where is it now? I don't know. My sister of "particularly persistent point of view" is a whiz at all things fabric. One of her daughters is too.

Jeanne said...

Oh, that backing fabric is wonderful! Are you thinking of hand quilting or machine quilting?
Jeanne

Katie said...

Oh what a nice quilt. The backing is perfect. I'm sure you will find a great way to quilt it. I'm exploring ways to quilt so have no suggestions.

jellyhead said...

Oh, Susan, that quilt is going to be exquisite. Please show us again when it's all fully done!

Finn said...

Hi Susan, the doll house fabric is just perfect for your quilt that is sooooo much about home and family..*VBS* I'd say "inspired" in fact!

I'm sure the quilting will lead you in the right direction. You are doing a great job on all the fronts!! Hugs, FInn

Tammy said...

the dutch dolls need a wee house...lol!
love the backing...what talent you have!!
:-D