Friday, February 1, 2013

seamless


Did you know that your local Wal-Mart has quilt backing fabric in a wide variety of solid colors (and some prints), in standard bed sizes, no seams, you can get a 90 x 102 for about $15!

The recent quilt I made was 80 x 90, so I needed backing fabric 88 x 98 (4" bigger on all sides for the quilting machine). I did my figuring and would need about 7 yards of fabric, which runs from about $4.95 to $11.95 a yard at a fabric shop, then I would have to cut and sew it together to reach backing size.

Or I could just get a sheet. Hmmm, let's see... 

The front of a quilt deserves the good stuff, all that work and pieces and time, but the back? And the problem with the recent quilt I was working on, it was for a guy and most of the fabrics I looked at were girly. So I was already leaning toward a solid color anyway. And the quilting will show up very nicely on the solid. So, no-brainer - just get a sheet, wash it, trim to size, and send it along with the quilt top to the quilter. Voila!


3 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

The WM near me gave up fabric for audio visual stuff. On occasion they have fat quarter bundles...

I think your word verification is reading my mind...
haveneg - have an egg
or maybe I am just hungry.

Gypsy Quilter said...

If you're working with 100% cotton fabric and 100% cotton batting, then you'll need a 100% cotton sheet. It all depends on how much you want the quilt to shrink, which depends largely on the batting. Sometimes the thread count in sheets is too high, making it difficult for the needle to pass through and breaking the thread. There are a lot of variables when going this route. However, I tend to use sheets when making curtains as they are great for lining.

Linda J said...

I know I have used them for skirting my sewing room table and even a few donation quilts in the past. Lately though we have had yardage donated from various sources and I have been lucky enough to find things we/I could use in our closet at the church. It helped that we got stuff out of the bin, labeled the size and know to look there for possibilities too! Hey, it is not a cheap hobby by any means and your grandson will be happy with solid and non-girlie.