Wednesday, January 28, 2009

settling in

Buddy and Ty

Well, I have been here in Royston for about 3 days now. The countryside on the way here was full of rolling fields, farms with cows, horses, goats. The town of Royston seems very old, the two block stretch of downtown has old decorative brick buildings of which many are standing empty. There are a few places I plan to visit - several antique stores, a vintage Rexall drug store that advertises a lunch counter, the depot, and of course Royston's claim to fame - the Ty Cobb museum. The local church chimes can be heard on the quarter hour which I find makes me smile, just knowing I am living in a community where everyone else can hear them too.

There are a couple of fast food restaurants here and a grocery store, but just up the road in the next town is Wal-Mart and Home Depot, so we won't be entirely out of touch with reality.

Pictured above is a memorial to the baseball player Ty Cobb displayed at the City Hall, this picture was back in 2005 when Buddy was working nearby and captured this for a geocache.

I haven't taken any pictures yet, it has been foggy and drizzling rain, but I am anxious to get out and start learning more about my new home away from home.

spring