Tuesday, June 17, 2008

perspective



"It just cost me $10 to go to Wal-Mart!" Buddy said yesterday when he walked in the door, and he wasn't even counting what he bought. His diesel truck gets 17.5 miles to the gallon, and diesel is nearing $5.00 a gallon, so he did the math and figured he used 2 gallons just to go to Wal-Mart and back.

When Carrie came in, we quizzed her about how much it cost her to go to work and back every day. She figured $8.00 a day, saying, "That's a dollar an hour!" (for her 9-5 banking job).

I, on the other hand, work at home and am saving all kinds of bucks not driving my car!

Narrowing down the gas prices to actual daily cost was very enlightening, giving personal perspective to a global problem.

Another note on diesel, that is the same stuff that is in our heating oil tank out in the yard (less the highway taxes of course), and we have already decided to use up what is in the tank this winter and not get a refill. Or do you think we could sell it back to the oil company for a profit? hmmm... something to think about...

We are thinking of replacing our oil furnace for an electric heat pump, but in the meantime, we are already planning to use wood heat more than ever this winter. Hey, we have this very valuable acreage, according to the tax assessor's office, so we might as well use it for some advantage, like fire wood!


~photo found online here

10 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Do you "know" anyone with an electric heat pump? Have you been in theor house in the winter with it running? My grandparents got one & their house is decidedly less than warm - the vents feel downright cool at times... So check that out before making such a huge decision/investment.

Then again if you can heat the place up nicely with wood...

dot said...

Hi Susan! Thanks for your comment today and the link to your LA post. That was an interesting story and I enjoyed reading it. I remember Gulf Shores before they ruined it. Such a different place today. My choice for the beach is Jekyll Island.

June said...

I remember us trying to decide between electric and gas appliances when we built BBR. I like cooking with gas, but we ended up going with electric. I'm not sure what tipped us over to it, but I'm glad we did. Now we're thinking about making use of the constant wind we have by putting up a windmill.

jellyhead said...

Yes, the price of gas (or petrol, as we call it here) is a cause for much discussion in Australia just now, too. There are radio shows discussing how we should all cycle to work etc etc. I guess we have all been acting as if the world's oil is infinite when it quite obviously is not. Maybe finally we will all seriously make moves towards harnessing other energy forms.

Byron said...

Luckily I work from home too. We have started cutting back on a lot of things. We only use the clothesline to dry our clothes now. The dryer hasn't been used in over a month. What's killing us is the cost of groceries. They aren't just going up a few cents, they are doubling in price!

doubleknot said...

Gas, it is going up up up every where. I don't have to drive to work but I do have to go to the store and doctor's appointments and it seems like all of a sudden my truck is drinking gas like there won't be any more.
We are all electric here. Our electric bill is pretty high. I miss having a gas stove though because when the electric goes out you can't do any thing.

Mimi said...

Isn't all this stuff scary. We have been very lucky to have had electric everything plus an added bonus is our wood stove which burns free wood we collect during the year.

Mimi

cathyb said...

Hello Susan! I am a new blogger, and clicked on my occupation link to find other MTs in Georgia. It is wonderful to work from home, isn't it! I did that for many years, and it was great to have the flexilibity that allowed me to be Taxi Mom while DD was growing up. I work on-site now, and at home in the evenings. I really enjoyed reading your blog!

liz said...

We bit the bullet and installed a new high-efficiency heat pump/gas furnace a couple weeks ago. Big investment, but our gas (propane)-only furnace was costing more and more. Reports say we should make our investment back in 6 yrs, although we kept settings low so it may take longer. I'm told this heat pump puts out air at 130 degrees where older ones are 85, so it will feel warmer. We'll see. We always supplement with fireplace which keeps us cozy evenings.

Michael Manning said...

I am so shocked here just 6 months in Arizona and with 5 days of 114 degree heat, I don't see solar energy!