Friday, March 14, 2008

spring fever



spring fever - It is that time of year again, the recurring symptoms, not wanting to work, constant gazing out the window. Rx: Take a walk in the sunshine, play in the dirt, plant some pansies.

better than coupons - While out recycling the other day, Melissa and I stopped to eat and went to the grocery store, both places giving me a senior discount! (Even though I clearly did not qualify). Melissa is the ultimate bargain hunter and coupon clipper (she takes after her dad and grandmother), but will she want to take me along now for that added discount?

watching the radio - Last Saturday evening we sat in the living room and listened to the radio show of Prairie Home Companion. It was something we had never done, and prompted a strange feeling - what do we do, just sit here? What do we watch? Is this how it was in the old days before TV? I ended up knitting, Buddy dozed in and out. Carrie came home and just rolled her eyes at us.

all in the family - Last Sunday we went bowling for the first time in - well we couldn't remember when. It was Carrie's idea of a family outing for her birthday, and turned out to be a lot of fun!

shark bait - Madison's 5th grade Challenge Class traveled to Gatlinburg for an overnight field trip to sleep with the sharks at the aquarium. She came home yesterday and crashed on the couch. Stories and pictures when she recovers…

capitol one - Sarah traveled with the middle school band yesterday to play for the governor at the Capitol in downtown Atlanta, but the real highlight was getting to eat at the Varsity!

copycat - I read a wonderful poem on a blog a while back - author unknown. I googled the first line and discovered several things, the first being that the poem I read was altered somewhat from the original. The author is well known, she lives here in Georgia, has a website, many more poems, and is actively trying to protect her copyrighted work. Reading this, I decided to remove some 'author unknown' poems I had posted on my blog, and try harder to give credit where credit is due.

So here is a link to The Dash by Linda Ellis. Read and enjoy, and think about how you will spend your dash. Have a great weekend!


It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!" ~Robin Williams

~photo 13 March 2008 jonquil at home


7 comments:

June said...

Hmmm.now there's a thought...valued for the senior discounts. I'm sure in your case that was totally beside the point!

As for the radio: we've become a visual culture, haven't we... I "watch" the radio when driving, but to think of always having to use your imagination to collect a picture is unimaginable. Pun intended.

Bowling is fun. My shoulder won't have any of it nowdays.

Michael Manning said...

Susan: I love that Robin Williams quote! Wouldn't it be a blast to live next door to him!

Sandy said...

Our family spent a lot of weekends listening to radio programs in the evenings after dark. You'd be surprised how your imagination can visualize what the actors are saying and it's sometimes more frieghtening than what it would be if you were actually watching it on TV.
It wasn't because we didn't have a TV it was just because we chose to leave it off on the weekends while away on trips to our cabin on the river. The kids remember those days fondly.

Mimi said...

Hi Susan,
I am definitely suffering/experiencing spring fever. I just came back from a weekend in the Shenandoah Valley. BTW, I loved the beautiful photo of the daffodil.

Mimi

Motherkitty said...

Susan, I hope you and your family did not suffer from the horrific storms racing through Atlanta and areas to the northeast. Thinking of you. (Wish I could still bowl. We used to belong to leagues in our younger days.)

colleen said...

Always the crocus get me in the mood for raking out my gardens. If it wasn't for them I wouldn't do it. Enjoyed looking at Linda's site.

Rick said...

I love that radio program and listen when I can. Its funny!