Friday, January 18, 2008

decisions, decisions...



We finally decided to go on our Canadian Rockies trip in mid May, mainly because of work schedule/timing.

We made flight reservations, got the tickets!

We have been reading lots of reviews on hotels and area information in general, everything from bedbugs to spectacular views, too pricey to worth every penny. Here are the pros and cons so far of going in May:

Cons

Lake Louise is frozen from November to June (so it might look like the picture above, instead of the glacier blue water).

The road to Lake Moraine may not be open yet in May, depending on the weather.

The hiking trails might be inaccessible.

Pros

4.5 million people visit Banff every year - probably close to half of them during July and August.

The off season rates are lower.

"Feedback from locals is that this (May) was one of the best times of the year to visit because it isn't crowded yet and the wild life is very active."

"We've been in the Rockies every month of the year, in all sorts of weather conditions from blizzards to blazing heat, and have always loved it. We adjust our activities to suit the weather, and just enjoy the ambiance and splendid mountain scenery."


Decisions, decisions... this is too much like work! But it will all be worth it in the end, no matter when we go, where we stay, or what the weather is like, it will be a great trip, and I am really looking forward to it!


~NOTE - No, we are not going to stay at that hotel in the picture, but will drive there from our 'reasonably priced' accomodation and take a picture of it!


11 comments:

Meus filhos minha vida said...

Hi, my name is Claudia and I live in Brazil. I did like so much of the you blog, the places are so beautiful. My English isn't good, but I understand something that you write. The beatch it is a paradise...

Thank you...

kisses
bye

Meus filhos minha vida said...

write me...

bye

June said...

You're about to go on the trip I've dreamed about. I look forward to your travelogue - aside from beautiful pictures, your trip will serve as a guide for when I take mine. It is hard to decide when to go...yes, lots of pros and cons to consider. In the end, you make the best choice for you that you can and hope for the best. It'll be great whenever you go...how can it not be!

Gypsy Quilter said...

But, but, is there a quilt shop in the vicinity?

Kerri said...

I'm sure it will be wonderful! I can't wait to see the pictures you'll take and hear all about your adventures. Banff looks like a glorious place, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the scenery much more with smaller crowds. I'm excited for you!!

Joann said...

I expect lots and lots of pictures since I'll be traveling there vicariously through you all.

Andrea said...

Wow, the picture is beautiful. I would love to go there.

I saw you on Dot's Georgia Bloggers list. I live in the same county as Dot, just different town.
My husbands aunt and uncle built a cabin in Ellijay a few years ago. It is so pretty up in the north GA. mountains.

Andrea said...

Just some rain here. They talk like the snow and sleet will come in between noon and 5:00. We had some rain while I was sleeping. Now it sounds like it is a light sleet out there. My 4 year old grandson PRAYED for enough snow to build a snowman family and enough to go sledding. With it coming in so late then the morning lows will be in the teens, I think tomorrow morning will be dangerous road conditions. We will see as it comes in. Be careful.

andsewitis Holly said...

Sounds like a perfect time to hunt for caches :) Beautiful places judging by the pictures. I know you will have a wonderful time.

Mimi said...

Is that a real place in that photo, it looks unearthly it is so beautiful.

Mimi

Sandy said...

We love the Rockies too, but have never been to them in Canada. It looks like a winter wonderland and without the crowds I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy things with a bit more freedom. Take lots of pictures.