Thursday, January 3, 2008

cold nights in Canada


Canoes on Moraine Lake
Banff National Park
Alberta, Canada


This year will mark 35 years of marriage, and we are looking into potential vacation destinations. The Canadian Rockies are at the top of the list right now, maybe a self driving tour on the Icefields Parkway, a ride on the Banff Gondola, and take a tour onto the icy slopes of the Athabasca Glacier.

Looking into dates, pricing, accomodations etc., if anyone out there has made this trip, all advice and suggestions are welcome!


Cold nights in Canada and icy blue winds
The man and the mountains are brothers again
Clear waters are laughing they sing to the sky
The Rockies are living they never will die

Up in a meadow in Jasper Alberta
Two men and four ponies on a long lonesome ride

Rocky Mountain Suite by John Denver

~photo of canoes on Lake Moraine by photographer Adam Jones (photo found at allposters.com)

More spectacular photos of the Banff area by Ron Niebrugge here.


7 comments:

June said...

This trip has been on my list for a while, but so far hasn't happened. I hope you go...and I'll look forward to seeing it/hearing about it.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Ohhhh lovely. Of course, I'm having trouble thinking of canoeing on a lake, as it's going to be 12 degrees here tonight. But I do hope you get to go.

Kerri said...

As soon as I saw your title I started humming that song, and it's been in my mind ever since...it's one of my favorites of JD's :)(I looked at your latest posts this morning, but didn't have time to comment).
That sounds like a wonderful vacation!!!
2008 will mark our 37th year of marriage. The years go by quickly, don't they...especially when you're having fun :)

Joann said...

It's on the lifetime goal list for me to go to Banff. I've known two people that went, and they were extatic about it. Take lotsof pictures!

I was married in 1971. Your marriage took better than mine. He left after only seven years and now the poor guy is dead, so I guess reconciliation is pretty much out of the question. He was the best man he knew how to be, but I'm glad he liberated me in '78. Been single ever since. I am however accepting applications, but you might want to delay any recommendations until after I grow some hair!

When will you go?

andsewitis Holly said...

This destination looks beautiful. I look forward to hearing about it when you do go.

Mimi said...

I must go to Canada some time in my future and I also love John Denver music.

Mimi

Mosquito.Mark said...

Well if you are up for the real experience on the Icefields Parkway
you could try staying at the network of Hostelling International Hostels http://www.hihostels.ca
they are affordable and in some of the most exclusive locations along the Icefields Parkway. I will have to say I am a bit biased here as I am the manager of HI-Mosqutio Creek Wilderness Hostel which is 29 km North of Lake Lousie. . . on the Icefields Parkway.
http://www.hihostels.ca/mosquitocreek

Now all the wilderness hostel along the Icefields Parkway are "Off-the-Grid" meaning it is closer to an executive camping experience.
Think of it this way, the money you save on accommodation in the park can be spent on some world class restaurants. Like those at the www.posthostel.com
and www.num-ti-jah.com
just a thought. Any other planning questions I am here, and following the discussion.
later
Mark in the Mountains
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coldday/sets/72157594181724962/