Monday, October 8, 2007

keep smiling

Do you use smiley faces? Do you receive smiley faces? Do you wish you had a smiley face?

Where did smiley faces come from? Did Forrest Gump come up with them when he wiped his mud-covered face off with a yellow t-shirt, and said "Have a nice day"?

What about the craze of computer smileys, which started out as :) and have evolved into a whole culture of smileys, or emoticons!



No matter how grouchy you're feeling,
You'll find the smile more or less healing.
It grows in a wreath
All around the front teeth -
Thus preserving the face from congealing.

~Anthony Euwer


Here is a 'you make me smile award' from fellow blogger (and quilter and transcriptionist) Gypsy Quilter, who recently passed it on to me, thanks!



Smiling is infectious,
U can catch it like the flu.
Someone smiled at me today,
And I started smiling too,
Now I am passing it on to you!



Some smile quotes from the Quote Garden

origin of the smiley face

10 comments:

June said...

Thanks for sharing the smile :-)

janeywan said...

That is cute and so orginal. Your one smart cookie.

p.s.

Thanks for the extra point at teatime.

Motherkitty said...

B)
:O
:D

Do you get the picture?

Here's my smile for you today because you made me smile.

:=> (I don't know if this is a real emoticon or not but it looks cute.)

The word verification said "irbig." Not good English but it says it all.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

You make me smile, too.

:^D

Susan, you are very deserving of this award.

colleen said...

I once read a book that explained how your body doesn't even know the difference if you smile and mean it or don't and that when you do smile it sets of good chemicals and you can feel better simply by doing it. (And a deep belly laugh can keep you pain free for an hour. That's another book).

You are so right about the writer's room. It's very exciting and tiring!! The computer is coming but isn't set up yet. The prices are affordable too. I think single rooms are $70. Suites (with kitchenettes are $130.

jellyhead said...

Yes Susan, you definitely make everyone smile!

Love this post - it's so....um, smiley? ;-)

doubleknot said...

I love smily faces and had a large collection of them - two years after my Dad died I realized that it while he was sick that I bought every smily thing I could find. It helped. A year or so ago I gave almost all my smily items to my room mates grand daughter who really liked my smily things. Thank goodness for the smily face it carried me through a hard time.

Susan said...

Comments make me smile! So all of you who were nice enough to comment here are officially presented with the 'you make me smile' award!

Congratulations!

~susan

Motherkitty said...

Thank you, smiley Susan, for passing on this smile award. Do you see me smiling?

Kerri said...

Now what am I doing back here? I seem to be spending a lot of time at your blog today!
Just had to come back and comment on your smiley post...it made me smile...as you do :)
Thanks for the always interesting, informative and thoughtful posts.
That's a pretty village you live in. Love the checkerboard front of Penland's.