Tuesday, June 12, 2007

outta plumb



Half a bubble out of plumb ~A construction phrase to describe a person who is… well… a brick short of a load, or his elevator doesn't go to the top floor, you get the idea. A construction superintendent I know has hired quite a few of these fellows. If someone comes to a construction site and actually wants to work, he is often given that opportunity. Even if he has to be shown the same task over and over, or he doesn't have any tools, just the fact that he shows up is more than you can say for some of the sub-contractors.

Another day in paradise ~When the job site is running along smoothly (does that ever happen?) and all is right with the world (not!)

Here's your sign ~When the masons started on the job in progress, they were reminded to wear hardhats. But their excuse was 'if there is not a sign about hardhats, we don't have to wear them'. Common sense obviously was not a factor, as they were working on the ground under steel workers welding and setting beams.

All things are possible ~At the biweekly meeting of architect, owner, and superintendent, ideas are tossed around, and the question is asked - can we do this? Resident superintendent responds with his pat answer - "All things are possible, given enough time and money."

SSDD ~Borrowed from Stephen King's Dreamcatcher, SSDD means Same S**t, Different Day (or as we tell the grandkids - Same Stuff, Different Day). When the superintendent uses this to describe his day, best leave him alone for a while - or better yet, get him a beer.

4 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

new one that I just heard that has the same connotation. - "No butter on the noodle."

We throw around SSDD all the time... That basically means, please do not ask about my day.

Motherkitty said...

I commiserate with that building superintendent in hiring warm bodies who are willing but not necessarily able to work.

I had to laugh the other day at the pizza delivery guy who showed up on time with our order. Although he looked a little scruffy, drove a very bad vehicle and had lots of tattoos, I accepted the fact that he was really trying -- that is until I handed him a $20 and patiently waited for my change. I was amazed by the vacant look on his face as he stared at the money in his grubby hand. He then said the perfect bon mot of the day. "I'm not good with numbers." That's a big d'oh for a delivery person who is expected to make change. Even when I told him what to give me back, he just couldn't do it.

Hard hats in a construction site? How about hard heads when that rivet comes flying down and someone didn't yell "fore." I hope husband's liability insurance is paid up.

SSDD indeed.

jellyhead said...

I enjoyed these... hadn't heard of most of them, but now I will be sure to include them in daily conversation.

SSDD may come in particularly useful if it's been a nightmare of a day!

Sandy said...

SSDD...I learned something new today.