Thursday, January 4, 2007

splash of color



In this season of no color, no flowers, no leaves, it is a good time to work with some homemade colors. Pictured is a quilt top handed down to me, over the years it kept getting pushed back in the closet. The truth is I didn't like it and didn't want to invest time in finishing it. The leaf squares were overpowered by the loud colored strips and the total effect was just too busy for me.

So I finally decided to free the leaves from their bindings and am now auditioning different layouts and background colors (feedback welcome). I started this back in the fall, and have now just pulled it out again. Winter is the time to work on quilts, don't you think?

5 comments:

Janet C. said...

I definitely like the blue boarded better. Not a quilter but love quilts.
The original quilt is kinda cool actually. If only we knew the history behind these guilts. My hubby had one handed down to him. I'm not even positive you made it. We think his grandmother, but may have had help etc.

The Calico Cat said...

HMMM What do I think? I think you are SOOOOO brave for taking it apart to begin with!

I kinda like the on-point - have you tried a lighter blue - might look more sky like...

John Cowart said...

Hi Susan,

I doubt if I'll ever try to knit a quilt myself (heck, I don't even own a chain saw) but I enjoy the colorful photos you post.

sharon b said...

Like the blue with the yellow corner stones. The leaves look like they are floating on a blue sky.. What an act of love to secure these blocks. Every season is a good season to quilt..

Finn said...

Hi Susan, I still love your leaves, and for sure the blue was a huge improvement.
Also enjoyed your 'tongue in cheek' commentary above..LOL

But, yes, it's wonderful to live where everybody know your name...can't be beat! Wishing you the happiest of new years, turkey, map dotless and all..*VBS* Hugs, Finn