Thursday, January 25, 2007

you can tell it's winter when...




It is getting colder now, more like January weather. The firewood is huddled up to keep warm, but what is that - do you see the smiley faces on the logs, or have I just been cooped up too long…


You can always tell if it is freezing, the rhododendron leaves droop like the ears on an old hound dog.


The bears have their sweaters on (me too), the woodbox is full, the electric blanket is on the bed, the little heater under my desk is blowing warm air on my toes.


The bulbs that came up back in the weird warm weather earlier in the month are having second thoughts and wishing they could backtrack.

6 comments:

jellyhead said...

kaGood morning Susan, you're up and writing early!

I *think* I can just make out the smiley faces...

and I feel very sorry for those poor shivery plants.

Keep as warm as the teddies, won't you? :)

jellyhead said...

what is that 'ka' doing there at the front of my comment??!

Sneaky little letters.....

Motherkitty said...

Brrrr. I see the smiley faces on the logs and I'm sure they're wishing they were in your nice, hot fireplace right about now. I looked out yesterday morning at the pool cover was filled with ice crystals and snow flake-looking white things. I hate winter and can't wait for springtime. I'm tired of being cooped up in the house and I dislike wearing all these clothes. Worst of all, I dislike having to wear socks all the time. During nice weather here, it's barefoot time for me. A friend told me the other day that the "best" picture she took of Thanksgiving was of me standing in my kitchen with my apron on in front of the cooked turkey and all the fixings, in my bare feet!!! (It's a good thing I wasn't pregnant or people would start thinking I was a hillbilly.)

Barry said...

Can I borrow some of your firewood? Yours is so neatly stacked - I should show you our haphazardly jumbled pile out on my deck...

But then our fireplace is rather small and wouldn't hold one of those logs.. We have to use broken up pieces of wood and lots of kindling to get it going to any degree...

Stay warm!

Janet C. said...

Yep I see them. Of course I've been cooped up to long to. Well I was in Denver yesterday. That's enough to make one hallucinate.

doubleknot said...

Yes I see the smiley faces. Guess the wood is happy to keep you warm this winter. Your Teddies are cute in their sweaters. Hope not too many of your plants freeze. The gerianium looks happy.