Sunday, February 19, 2006

a taxing time















It's too cold and rainy to go out and play
But there is a task that I would like to delay
The ritual comes this time every year
It strikes in our hearts much dread and fear

First starts the search for boxes and files
The gathering of tickets for meals and for miles
Forms to collect, publications to read
Finding the loopholes and the rules to heed

Doctors and dentists and office supplies
These are truly deductions, no stories, no lies
Telephone and internet are necessary tools
Not breaking, but maybe just bending the rules

Withheld, estimated, federal, and state
Complete the right form before its too late
Wish for a refund but satisfied with none
Sighing with relief when it is finally done

A fool and his money are soon parted.
The rest of us wait until income tax time.

5 comments:

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

What a nice poem...well I don't know how anyone can call income tax time nice...but that's a cute poem anyway.

You are so very creative. I have never seen a poem for this occasion, before...jokes yes...but never a poem.

And that reminds me to get mine done...the papers have been sitting on my dining room table, as a reminder, for me to get them done.

Again...Thanks for the reminder...Today, just might be as good a day as any, to get this chore completed, once & for all and off in the snail mail.

Judith said...

'Taxing time'--yes! Ugh. Why am I smiling? The poem & picture are great! Thanks for giving a little dose of jolly during tax season!

doubleknot said...

The poem is right on the spot. I don't have to pay taxes - social security - but that means no refund either.

Thank you for your kind words on my daughter.

jellyhead said...

You're a poet and I didn't knoet!

Motherkitty said...

Don't remind me of taxes.

We made our annual trek last Monday to our tax lady with documents in hand. We entered light of heart but 30 minutes later we were crying.

Seems that because I took some money out of my mutual funds for some needed home improvements, and had federal taxes withheld, it kicked up our tax bracket and now my entire Social Security income became taxable. So now instead of receiving a much anticipated refund, I get stuck with a $1,400 tax bill. Yikes!!! I didn't know they could tax your Social Security, but believe me, they can and will if you make too much money. So much for retirement income. Federal taxes has become a dirty word in our house this year.