Tuesday, August 2, 2016

customer service

granddaughter Sarah in 2011


The hometown grocery store, you always see someone you know, or you get to know someone new, so plan on some interruptions in your shopping, time to catch up with neighbors and friends.

I was eyeing the fried chicken and vegetables and corn bread at one end of the deli counter when the little old lady peeked up from behind the counter and asked could she help me. I stood on tiptoe so I could see her better and gave her my order.

"That lady that just left, she always thanks me for cooking her dinner, I don't correct her, she has oldtimers you know. My mom had that, she was in the nursing home -are you in a hurry?"

No ma'am.

"Well I would go to see her and one time I took some of her clothes out of her closet because I knew she would never wear them and took them home. Next thing you know my sister is calling, saying mom is upset because someone stole her clothes."

"One other time the lady that works there brought in mom's clean laundry and I was folding it and putting it away, she told my sister after that that I brought her a whole new wardrobe. It's bad, that oldtimers, and it's in my family, I'm worried 'bout that."

"What was it you wanted? 2 piece white? I'm sorry I kept you so long."

No problem, I've always got time to listen to a story.

Then to the checkout line, no express lane here.

"Just wait til they are running!”

I look around to see who the cashier is talking to, it is the lady in the next line trying to keep two toddlers in the buggy.

She continued the conversation to me: "My mama said I was running before I could walk. My sister would stop and talk to folks but I would just run, from one side of the store to the other. My sister talked all the time. She don't say nothing anymore."

The elderly gentleman bagging my groceries dropped my bananas into the bag. Dropped them. I might have said something if he had been a young lad, maybe not knowing any better, but this man is probably just trying to supplement his social security and I doubt he would appreciate any advice from me about how to bag groceries.

Besides I couldn't get a word in edgewise from the cashier telling me about her family.

"Did you find everything okay? You have a nice day now y'hear?

Yes I will, you too.

Then walking out, I see the friend of one of my grandkids - she waves and comes in for a hug. 

"I am living back home again with mama, I left that guy, it's all good now."

Ahh so much better than the cashiers at some stores where they scan the items with a blank stare, not making eye contact, just watching the clock waiting for a break to smoke or check their phone.

Customer service is different in a small town, more personal.

No, I am in no hurry if you want to talk, bring it on, and hugs are welcome, too.

Oh and thanks deli lady for cooking my supper!


spring