Wednesday, February 13, 2013

lines



Dropped off Kyle's quilt with the quilter last week. I told her it was for a guy, and asked if she had any pattern that was not so girly, no curlicues or flowers. She assured me the all-over meandering pattern was what she used for guys, it was fine. I asked her about maybe geometric or even straight lines, she said that would be too boring. So I told her I trusted her judgement, and figured the t-shirts would be the focus anyway, not the quilting.

But then she called and said she thought about what I said and tried some new things, she was excited about the way it turned out. I picked it up and she was right, there are straight lines and diagonal lines and squares triangles and double lines - all put together to make a great overall pattern that is not girly at all! Each square has a different design, this made a lot more work for her, a lot of starting and stopping and fastening off thread and trimming all those little threads. She said that her grandson has never paid much attention to the quilts she works on, but he even stopped and said he liked that one!

So one more step behind me, now to the next, and for me the hardest - the label. I know, it's just a little thing, right? But it is going to be there for a long time and I want it to say something well, profound… {smile}. 

When looking for ideas for sayings for Kyle's quilt label, I discovered myself passing by the lighthearted sayings like Follow Your Dream or things along that line (like Sarah's), and focusing on the motivational ones about being successful - what is this … gender bias? 

lines on the flip side
Which goes along with the quilting design, I see a theme here - lines, straight lines, straight and narrow, tow the line, line up, direction, paths --- do you think I am making this way harder than it should be? 

For example, this is a great life quote, but I wouldn't tell an 18 year old boy this:

“Life is short, Break the Rules.
Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
And never regret ANYTHING
That makes you smile.” 
~ Mark Twain

I can imagine him taking it very literally, I can hear him now, but Granma Susan said…

And I don't want to be too stern like this:

The dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price.  ~Vince Lombardi

Maybe something from Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, but not about them being college dropouts…

I have to keep up my image of being a fun Granma but still want to send a message, so I may just have to go with Dr. Seuss, with his fun but subtle life lessons:

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.


Time will tell what I finally decide, but no doubt it will take me longer to make the label than the whole quilt!



spring