Monday, January 17, 2011

sarahs tees

how to make a t-shirt quilt

Following through with Granma promises, yesterday I started on Sarah's t-shirt quilt. She had 2 garbage bags of tees, one marked 'Sarah's quilt - definites' and the other extras just in case.

The best place to lay out a quilt around here is the living room floor, I laid out the shirts haphazardly, then Sarah came over and moved some around, removed some, took some out of the 'extra' bag, and we came up with this layout.



Sarah looked over all the shirts laid out and said, "Wow, I have been to a lot of places!"

Then I started what I call the hard part, ironing on the fusible interfacing which gives the fabric some body and keeps it from stretching out of shape when sewing. Some of these tees were worn pretty thin, so this step helps out a lot.

I told all the kids I would make them a t-shirt quilt for a high school graduation gift, Sarah is the first one, but she still has a year to go. I am getting started now, but cannot finish it yet because she might get some tees in her senior year to include, she said she might even put her school Letter on her quilt.

Maybe getting started is the hard part, but I am over that hurdle now, getting it started is good, one more thing to cross off my 'to-do' list!



spring