Wednesday, April 15, 2009

randomness



You know how when you want to make a quilt and you go to the specialty quilt store and buy all the fabric you will need for the project, all matching, and you pay $7.98 a yard for it…

What if you saved all those scraps of fabric from other projects and then you took all those scraps and remnants from your scrap basket and made a quilt out of them, not buying anything new, just using up the old? Is that a great idea or what?

What is that you say? It is not a new idea, but old, in fact probably the oldest original way to make a quilt? Hmmm.... OK, I like old fashioned ideas!

I always wanted to make a bow-tie quilt, a nice old fashioned pattern, so I started cutting up all my scraps into 3-1/2" squares. I noticed a trend of pinks/blues forming, which was leaving a lot of other colors in the basket. Apparently I was subconsciously trying to create a color sequence, a theme.

But then I said, STOP! You don’t have to always have a plan, a pattern, with everything matching.

How's this for a theme: Random bits of color from my scrap basket. Just use all colors and patterns and see what turns up! My spring quilt project, I wonder how long this one will take?

random - adjective - lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern


gathering up the scraps
picking up the pieces
putting them back together
into something better than before



4 comments:

Carrie said...

You... with no plan? It will never happen. Your brain cannot handle randomness, it's too much for you and you know it. You'll sneak a "random" pattern in there somewhere.

I know this, because you've genetically given the same "issue" to me!

Gypsy Quilter said...

A lovely idea, using it all up. If you need more colors, come on by. I happen to have a few left over . . . LOL!

Jellyhead said...

oooh, I love random colour. It will be gorgeous .... please show us when it's done?

Anonymous said...

IT IS LIKE "LIFE" WE DO THE BEST WITH WHAT WE HAVE! MAYBE YOU CAN CALL IT YOUR "LIFE" QUILT. SOME HAVE GONE TO FAMILY RIGHT? SO THE IT IS A SUM OF ALL YOU HAVE DONE FOR OTHERS. IT WILL BE A GREAT ONE!!