Wednesday, April 15, 2009

randomness



You know how when you want to make a quilt and you go to the specialty quilt store and buy all the fabric you will need for the project, all matching, and you pay $7.98 a yard for it…

What if you saved all those scraps of fabric from other projects and then you took all those scraps and remnants from your scrap basket and made a quilt out of them, not buying anything new, just using up the old? Is that a great idea or what?

What is that you say? It is not a new idea, but old, in fact probably the oldest original way to make a quilt? Hmmm.... OK, I like old fashioned ideas!

I always wanted to make a bow-tie quilt, a nice old fashioned pattern, so I started cutting up all my scraps into 3-1/2" squares. I noticed a trend of pinks/blues forming, which was leaving a lot of other colors in the basket. Apparently I was subconsciously trying to create a color sequence, a theme.

But then I said, STOP! You don’t have to always have a plan, a pattern, with everything matching.

How's this for a theme: Random bits of color from my scrap basket. Just use all colors and patterns and see what turns up! My spring quilt project, I wonder how long this one will take?

random - adjective - lacking a definite plan, purpose, or pattern


gathering up the scraps
picking up the pieces
putting them back together
into something better than before



spring