Wednesday, December 24, 2008

treasured moments




the stockings are hung
the presents are wrapped
the lights twinkle on the tree

the air fills with anticipation
and scents of the season
cinnamon, pumpkin, and pine

the kids and grandkids
bake cookies for Santa
and try to be good just one more day

music fills the air
of jingle bells and silent night
setting the mood for joy and hope

from near and far the family
gathers together once again
love, laughter, and smiles will abound

Christmas Eve is here at last
we want it to hurry and get here
and we want it to never end


Is it Christmas eve already? What happened to all those other days in December that are supposed come before now?

Looking forward to the annual family gathering down at Tumblin Waters tonight. There will be some new faces again this year, more folks to induct into the family Christmas traditions.

I better get busy on our part of the food, cheese ball, shrimp, punch. Everyone brings something to eat, sometimes it seems that is the best part, but it is really just seeing everyone all together again one more time in the old homeplace.

The presence of those long gone will be lingering in the air, Mamaw will be watching to see if Heidi cooks the turkey just right, Papaw will make sure the fire in the fireplace is safe and he probably will wish he could taste just one shrimp. Two-mama will be delighted at all the new grandbabies, and Aunt Bess will smile down from her heavenly rocker where she is no doubt holding a lap cat.

Moments to be treasured, another Christmas Eve with family, another year, another memory in the making. Merry Christmas to all from our family to yours!


8 comments:

June said...

Thanks Susan...and merry Christmas to you too!

janeywan said...

Love that christmas scene and the poem.

Merry Christmas to you and your family. I may just hit those slopes tomorrow, getting excited. :)

andsewitis Holly said...

Merry Christmas Susan. May your new year be filled with many cache finds!

Alice said...

Dear Susan - I hope you and your family are having a wonderful Christmas Day. Ours was good too.

Happy New Year to you all.

Suzette Parron said...

Susan,


I am writing a book about the many folks who have created quilt squares on their barns. I am working with Donna Sue Groves, who orginated the idea in Ohio in
2001; the book will be published by Ohio University.

I usually Google quilt barns every week or two to see if anything new comes up. I had not seen yours until today. Merry Christmas to me!

Although my focus is on the many community trails, I am also including a chapter on individuals who have decorated their own barns with quilts. Powder Springs, GA has in-town quilt paintings, but you are the first person that I know of in Georgia who has created a quilt on a barn! I may be wrong about that--if so, please enlighten me.

I would love to find out about your project and be able to mention you in the book as someone who created quilt squares without the support of a community.

Please contact me sparron@netzero.net
or 770-465-0782

You may notice that I have blogs as well; I teach high school in Dekalb County (Atlanta suburb) and use Blogger with my students.

I so hope that you will get this message and respond. It would be great to have a personal story from my home state!!

All best for Christmas and always,

Suzi Parron

Rick said...

I always cherish the arrival of September as it leads into my favorite months for photography. Then along comes December and time to enjoy Christmas. Looking forward to another year of your pics!!

Merry Christmas!!

Mimi said...

Hi Susan, I hope you had a wonderful time with your family. I enjoyed your post.

Kerri said...

Love the poem! Did you write it?
I hope your Christmas made many wonderful, new memories with family and friends.