Wednesday, October 8, 2008

get moving

Michaelangelo's David after a stay in America
(photo found here)


Watching ABC World News last night, amongst all the politics etc., there was this little story:

Long-awaited physical activity guidelines set minimum daily sweat allotment for good health.

New exercise guidelines announced yesterday by the government:
"Adults gain substantial health benefits from two and a half hours a week of moderate aerobic physical activity, and children benefit from an hour or more of physical activity a day."


I think about exercising, I think about going for a walk or hike, but all I do is sit here at this computer or in front of the TV or sit and read. I need a real jump-start to get me going.

If I was looking for a sign, maybe it was yesterday when getting a mammogram, the tech took one look at me and said (and not in a good way), "Oh, you are going to need the big films!"


I really don't think I need buns of steel. I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon. ~Ellen DeGeneres

The word aerobics came about when the gym instructors got together and said, "If we're going to charge $10 an hour, we can't call it jumping up and down." ~Rita Rudner

I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises. ~Buzz Aldrin



5 comments:

doubleknot said...

That seems so true of 'David' maybe ending up looking like that.

I need to exercise more but because of my health problems a lot I can't do. I am trying some streches that my daughter gave me a book on.

At my age I think I am pretty much set in my weight.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Maybe this is why camo gear came about . . . hmmm.

dot said...

Pretty funny but very true. I understand that people in other countries laugh at us fat Americans. It is a constant struggle for me to stay slim and I walk from 5 to 8 miles many days. My metabolism is dead!

Joann said...

Good for you for getting your mammo! Hope it was for routine maintenance and not because of any worries.

Now make sure you get the other end checked out too. ;) I still owe my body a pap for this eyar.

Instead I have an appt for genetic testing to try and determine my future risks and potentially Jenn's (and Jewel's). It's a long process though.

colleen said...

Okay. I'm on my way out to jump on the trampoline now.