Tuesday, January 15, 2008

vintage fun



Remember the old pot-holder looms? I remember loving to make those, all the different colors, weaving in and out, having a finished product to hang in the kitchen.

I found one of those looms with loops at Wal-Mart last week, while looking at craft supplies to do with the grandkids. I told Buddy - the kids will probably think this is really lame, with all their MP3, DS, Wii and other alphabet-named toys. He said that he doubted they had ever seen one, and would think it was a new thing!

Sure enough, when Madison came by yesterday, she said, "What is this?" and proceeded to make her first pot-holder (or as she said - it could be a coaster or to hang on the wall!).

Of course the new loom is not as good as in the old days - the loom is plastic, the loops are not cotton, but nylon (and would melt if you actually did use as a pot-holder), and the plastic weaving hook has already broken, but I know someone who could probably make us one out of metal or wire, "Oh, Grandpa Buddy..."

7 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I remember those, but what I remember most is that I never figured out how to "finish" them...

colleen said...

I love that kids will still do stuff like that. Over the weekend I attended a knitting group (for a story) and the youngest was an eleven year old who was teaching herself knitting through a book on it. I was very impressed.

The invasion is actually of dust. You know how it appears to ride a sunbeam and then land all over your stuff that you later have to "dust?"

dot said...

I remember them. I never made one but somebody gave me one and I loved it.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Now that takes me back. Waayyyyy back! I wonder if there are any metal onse out there. hmmm

Byron said...

How coincidental, my youngest daughter just received one of those this weekend and loves it. I remember the metal ones too. And also those latch hook rugs that used to be so popular back in the 80's.

Kerri said...

I remember my daughters enjoying them during the 80's. How neat that Madison picked it right up and tried it. Has she tried knitting or crochet?

Mimi said...

My eldest made a pot holder on one of those a few years ago. I use the thing too.

Mimi