Wednesday, October 10, 2007

happy trails

hiking trail
Over the years we have made trails on the property, for hiking and riding 4-wheelers. They would get overgrown from our lack of use.

BUT since the grandkids started riding the 4-wheeler, the trails are staying busy and cleared of undergrowth. Pictured is the trail that goes by the treehouse.

Sure, I worry about them getting hurt, but I love to hear them having so much fun - good old country fun!

I usually am too paranoid about walking in the woods alone (bears and snakes and poison ivy oh my), but with these nice wide clear trails, and the cooler weather, I believe I will start walking again. Care to join me?


Some trails are happy ones,
Others are blue.
It's the way you ride the trail that counts,
Here's a happy one for you.

Happy trails to you until we meet again.
Happy trails to you, keep smilin' until then.
Who cares about the clouds when we're together?
Just sing a song and bring the sunny weather.
Happy trails to you 'till we meet again.


~Music and Lyrics by Dale Evans-Rogers


9 comments:

June said...

I'm with you about the time to start walking in the woods. I wonder if the PI will die off on schedule, given the screwy weather. As for the kids at play, playing outdoors in an environment such as yours will be a memory they cherish.

jellyhead said...

Oh Susan, I would *love* to join you! That photo looks so inviting. You really live in a heavenly place.

sharon b said...

I'd love to walk the trail.. Reminds me of the mountain trails of my much younger days. The quietness of the woods .. So wonderful. We are waiting on a job move to mountains.. I'll be back to walking in the forest again.. We love Vogel State Park..

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Susan, you are a genuinely nice person … so I am passing along the Nice Matters Award. Come fetch it from my other blog:
http://wordsfromawordsmith.blogspot.com/2007/10/nice-matters.html

I really love the treehouse. My husband built one for our kids with a trapdoor (looks like yours has one, too) and a rope ladder they could pull up behind themselves. Window openings could be pulled up and hooked inside when the weather was nice (deliberate play on the Nice Award) or lowered when it was rainy.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Certainly, and a perfect day it is for it too. I'll be there by dinner time. If you don't mind, pleez call my boss and explain the delay.

Catherine said...

I love walking in the woods, I am anxious for the weather to cool down a bit, so I don't have to worry about the snakes as much...
I would love to walk with you on your trail!! Beautiful photo's!..My son grew up in the same enviroment, And while I worried , I know it was a great enviroment for him to play in, he always said, ~he had the best back yard in the whole world~ (woods) :)
Your Grandchildren think the same I'm sure!! :)
Great post!
Cat

Sandy said...

I love walking in the woods and I'd love to join you. It looks so peaceful there even with the four wheelers scurrying past.

I used to watch the Roy Rogers & Dale Evans Show, so that song is very familiar to me.

Motherkitty said...

I think I went into the woods once or twice in my lifetime. This city gal thinks woods are lovely to look at and to look at other people's pictures. Oooooh, but the snakes, critters, creepy crawlers, and thought of GETTING LOST IN THE WOODS FOREVER raises the hairs on the back of my neck. Also, I'm not much of a hiker. I do like looking at the wildlife from my deck though. We had a baby opposum come to eat yesterday. The kitties chased him off.

Kerri said...

I can't think of anything nicer than a stroll along that trail with you, as long as the weather is warmer than it is this morning!
What fun trails for the grandkids, and hearing their laughter must be such a pleasure.
We took the boys into the woods and found some neat stuff while they were visiting last weekend :)
We've had bear sightings here too. It makes me stop and think before walking around the farm by myself.
I don't fancy coming face to face with a black bear, although I think the chances are slim.