Friday, September 28, 2007

happenings


New rockers at the old folks home. Buddy picked out a new porch rocker for his birthday, and I got one too!


Sitting and rocking on the porch with a good book - it doesn't get much better than that! I recently finished thirteen moons by Charles Frazier.

As you can see from the picture, this story is set in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina.

A saga of the life of Will Cooper, a tale of love, life, and loss, but mostly about the Cherokees around the time of the Removal, before and after.

My favorite parts were mentions of places I have been here in our wonderful mountains - like Wayah, Deep Creek, Valley River, Hanging Dog Creek, Cataloochee, and Nantahala.

I was quite caught up in the story of the Cherokees, believing every word, until at the end the author was quick to point out this this is a work of fiction. Still a good story, especially if you are from 'round these parts.


The next best thing to rocking on the porch is going camping in the mountains, so we are off for a weekend in the Smokies, traveling through the Nantahala gorge, passing by all the places in Frazier's book, camping out in Elkmont next to this river:


8 comments:

janeywan said...

That bridge photo is stunning.

I'll have to get that book. Some books although fiction are filled with facts. Do they have a name for those kind of books.

Story fiction/content non-fiction.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Hope you have a lovely trip. The weather is perfect for it.

June said...

How unique your rockers! I know you'll have many hours of pleasure in them.

I used to spend my childhood summers at Nantahala, and have fond memories of the area. I'll look forward to seeing your photos. Happy camping!

liz said...

If you hadn't posted this at 7 am, I might have thought that was you with two of those rockers in the back of a pickup truck this morning near Murphy. But I expect you didn't have to go that far to get them!

andsewitis Holly said...

Love the rocking chairs. Sounds like you will have a wonderful weekend. I love little trips like that.

bluemountainmama said...

i love all the photos from your most recent posts.... and funny you should mention cataloochee b/c i posted about it a couple of days ago. :)

i'll have to check out this book... i loved 'cold mountain'. it was especially neat, b/c like you said, i recognized so many places and names in it. you can see cold mountain from the town i'm from in NC.

Kerri said...

I'm longing to sit and rock in chairs just like yours...and read that book! Both activities are sound very appealing, and I love those new rockers.
Lucky you to be close to the Smokies. Now I'm longing to go camping too! You've got to stop posting all these tempting things!!

waterton glacier said...

Wow what a gorgeous place!!! This is a wonderful area to have or vacation. I can’t wait to visit here, it sounds like so much fun!

waterton glacier