Friday, February 2, 2007

classic fun


Tinkertoys are still fun.

Just don't tell their middle-school friends.

A good way to spend an unexpected day off from school, after playing in the snow, warming up in front of the wood stove at granma's house.



It is also fun to watch the different approaches to building with Tinkertoys. Kyle is adamant about using the instructions/plans/blueprints, and often gets frustrated if it doesn't turn out exactly like the picture. Madison likes to just start putting things together to see where it goes. She is very flexible in her design, open to suggestions, and her projects often end up large and elaborate.

Tinkertoys were invented in 1914 by a stonemason after seeing children playing with pencils and empty spools of thread - based on the Pythagorean triangle - huh? More at Wikipedia.

One of the classics, Tinkertoys are in the National Toy Hall of Fame along with 35 other toys, check this out and see how many you have played with over the years, and which ones you wish you still had today.

11 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

How fun & nice for them not to have to be "cool" they are still kids!

While I know you can buy a brand new set of tinker toys, lincoln logs, erector set, I'd love to get a circa 50's or 60's set...

Motherkitty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Motherkitty said...

Several Christmases ago we wanted to buy Lincoln Logs for the grandkids. Bought a "set" on e-bay. What I got was a jumble, not a set. So, off to Toys-R-Us to purchased new sets. The kids loved them. They're still too young for real Tinkertoys and Erector Sets, but we're glad we saved our son's old sets up in the closet. They'll have something to play with if they come here on a snowy afternoon.

Loved the picture of your grandkids. They sure are lucky they have a nice, warm, by the fire place to go if school's called off. Did you feed them hot chocolate also, or Ovaltine???

Rhea said...

These classic toys are great. I played with a lot of them. I loved Mr./Mrs. Potato Head.

bluemountainmama said...

my parent's tinkertoys got a lot of use over the holidays.... i bet it's nice to have your grandkids nearby. i wish i was closer to my parents....

colleen said...

I'm glad Scrabbel made the Hall of Fame...along with all my favorites...etch-e-sketch...slinky...Mr. Potato head! I wonder what toys of today will be considered classics.

jellyhead said...

I remember Tinker Toys from my childhood, but didn't realise they were still around.

Glad your grandkids had so much fun with a good old-fashioned set of toys!

Kerri said...

Our grandkids go to the Strong Museum. That's a neat collection of toys. I'm glad Legos made it. Our son spent hours playing with them while he was growing up.
Our grandkids love their Tinker Toys.
Very interesting to hear of the different 'building styles' :)
Love those snow days!!!

John Cowart said...

My wife made a cradle for our first baby out of Tinker Toys; the next three kids got stuck in a dresser drawer.

They all turned out fine anyhow.

doubleknot said...

Wow I remember playing with most of those toys when I was young - I will reveal my age when I say my first Mr. Potato Head you used a real potato with! You are right wish I had them now - cha ching.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Oh my gosh...I played with all of the classic toys and so did my children. Very nice post & pictures.