Friday, December 1, 2006

hello darkness


We woke up this first day of December to wind gusting, house creaking, rain tapping. We arise before daylight at our house, and today there was just enough time for the coffee to brew before the lights flickered out, probably a tree down on the lines.

You think your house is dark at night, but when the power goes out, it is really dark, no microwave clock, no little green lights on the VCR or computer.

Buddy left for work, out to a world with electricity, leaving me standing there in the dark. Well, not total darkness, I had already lit all of our kerosene lanterns and had a flashlight in my hand. I called the power company with the one phone in the house that works without power, and got the automated line, "If your power is out, press 1." I remember the good old days when someone actually answered the phone, or better yet when we could call our neighbor down the road who worked at the power company. He is retired now, but before that, he changed his phone number and made it unlisted…

What to do now? On his way out the door, Buddy had said, "Go back to bed!" Mmm, that's a thought, and I even tried it, but I was already hyped up on coffee. What to do? I can't work (!), read, or sew. I laid there on the bed, listening to the sounds. I wonder what the rain will sound like on our new metal roof? I must have dozed off, because I woke to the familiar sound heralding the return of electricity at our house - the alarm system siren out at the workshop. It is a very irritating sound, but very welcome. I wonder if all the neighbors appreciate it as much as me?

6 comments:

"Grandi" said...

I know that having power out is not good, but as long as it is not out toooo long it is kind of a cozy feeling! Everything is so quiet - the humming of appliances - that we usually don't hear is gone and what is left is only what God has made. Crawling back under the covers is exactly what I would have done too! Maybe with an extra snuggly quilt for good measure!

bluemountainmama said...

at least the coffee was done first- that's the most important thing in the morning, isn't it? :)

Motherkitty said...

Hope the wind has died down and your power is back on. We awoke to the doors in our new outbuilding open (even though they had been locked) and a big blue tarp of our blown into the neighbor's yard. Poor husband had to dress up warmly and go out to check on things and fix the doors on the building. Brrr. He was really cold when he came in.

I usually find that when the power goes out, you almost go through a time warp. At first you get a little frustrated because everything you want to do requires electricity. Then, after you've fired up the kerosene lamp(s), you find that your perspective has changed with the light. You're now back about 100 years and don't even really realize it. So this is what it was like for our ancesters to sit by the light of the fireplace and the kerosene lamp to try to do those chores that need doing. You have to give our ancestors credit for ingenuity and willpower.

John Cowart said...

I like the teddybear photo... you always post the most intriguing photos.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

At first I thought you were going to post about a Simon & Garfunkle song, "Hello darkness my old friend."

I'm glad your power wasn't out too long, but I love your cozy little picture. It has rained on our new metal roof and I was a bit disappointed that the rain is now muffled a bit. Now I'm waiting to hear hail beating on our metal roof...I'm sure I'll be able to hear that better. *LOL*

During the windstorm a metal piece of something slid across our roof and boy was it noisy. It made me go outdoors to see what the heck that noisy thing was. It turned out to be a small piece of metal roofing that the roofers forgot to take with them.

I'm sure your neighbors appreciated your alarm as much as I appreciate car alarms that go off across the street. *LOL* If not turned right off, they are a bit annoying...but your home looks like it's a good distance from any neighbors.

doubleknot said...

Nice picture of the bears. I too hate to have to punch in numbers - sometimes they don't even give you an option to talk to a real person. I called something the other day for my room mate and I know I must have pushed twelve buttons before it would let me reach a real person. My room mate gets frustrated thats why I do it for him.