Tuesday, December 5, 2006

the girls are back...



Look what I received in the mail! My little Dutch Doll quilt, all quilted, lined, bound and most importantly - finished! Isn't it great!

These little Dutch Doll squares were made by me when I was 9 years old. The blue gingham is from a dress made for my sister-in-law Kay, about 1958.

With all these handmade ingredients to this quilt, I knew I should quilt it by hand, but I also knew that it would take me a very long time. While I was struggling with this decision, I read a blog by Amy at The Calico Cat , who was discussing the decision of hand quilting versus machine quilting, using the phrase "better done than perfect." That hit home with me, and then and there I made the decision to send this one out for quilting. Amy also posted about the perfect quilter for the job:


Linda Susie has a picture album of her quilting at Webshots, with my dutch dolls featured here (click on pictures for close-up of quilting):

Image hosted by Webshots.com Image hosted by Webshots.com

Linda Susie used echo quilting around the girls, and daisy feathers in the border. I am very pleased with her work, and recommend her to anyone!

7 comments:

Motherkitty said...

That's amazing that she was able to quilt only around the little Dutch girls and the border and not on the other parts. She did a fantastic job and the quilt looks amazing. Now, what are you going to do with the quilt, hang it on the wall or put it on your bed? I love that expression and am glad you got it finished just in time for Christmas.

You have saved a piece of your history and made it into a treasure. Thank you so much for sharing this experience with us.

Anonymous said...

YAY! I am so glad that you are happy with the results. (For me that is the worse part about recommending anyone for anything. Different people want/need different things & just because it is good for me doesn't mean that it is good for anyone else - know what I mean?)

jellyhead said...

It looks just beautiful!

"Grandi" said...

What a special quilt!! It turned out beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

What a beautiful heirloom you have created. A treasured piece to cherish & pass along...someday.

K. said...

Susan,
Twomama and Aunt Gene would be so proud of the second life you and the talented quilter have given the dress they made so many years ago. It remains a treasure thanks to your creative efforts. Many thanks.