Tuesday, December 5, 2006

the girls are back...



Look what I received in the mail! My little Dutch Doll quilt, all quilted, lined, bound and most importantly - finished! Isn't it great!

These little Dutch Doll squares were made by me when I was 9 years old. The blue gingham is from a dress made for my sister-in-law Kay, about 1958.

With all these handmade ingredients to this quilt, I knew I should quilt it by hand, but I also knew that it would take me a very long time. While I was struggling with this decision, I read a blog by Amy at The Calico Cat , who was discussing the decision of hand quilting versus machine quilting, using the phrase "better done than perfect." That hit home with me, and then and there I made the decision to send this one out for quilting. Amy also posted about the perfect quilter for the job:


Linda Susie has a picture album of her quilting at Webshots, with my dutch dolls featured here (click on pictures for close-up of quilting):

Image hosted by Webshots.com Image hosted by Webshots.com

Linda Susie used echo quilting around the girls, and daisy feathers in the border. I am very pleased with her work, and recommend her to anyone!

spring