Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Georgia Aquarium






Merry Christmas to us! The new Georgia Aquarium opened in November 2005 and a trip to it was a perfect Christmas present. We received a gift card for the aquarium from our daughter and son-in-law, Melissa and Keith. We saw on the news the throngs of people in long lines at the newest destination in Atlanta, so we waited. Finally, this past weekend we made the trip. Arriving at 9 a.m. on Sunday morning, it was pretty quiet, though it was starting to fill up as we were leaving.

A beautiful place, and well worth the trip! We enjoyed all the animals/fish, and of course Buddy was impressed with the building, the size of it, the design, "can you imagine the foundation to support the weight of all this water!"

The Georgia Aquarium was made possible by a generous donation ($250 million) by the founder of Home Depot, Bernie Marcus.

Thanks to Melissa and Keith for the great present!

Georgia Aquarium website

More photos here (click picture):
Image hosted by Webshots.com

6 comments:

Motherkitty said...

Susan, what stunning pictures. I especially loved the flying manta rays and the gloriously gorgeous jellyfish. Makes you wonder at the number of manhours keeping those tanks clean and all the fish fed.

Sounds like you and Buddy had a fabulous time using up your Christmas present. Thanks for sharing. I love how you can add all your photos on your post, you clever girl.

The Calico Cat said...

I love visiting Aquariums & Zoos... Your photos are GREAT!

jellyhead said...

Susan, you sure have an eye for photography.... I love these photos. Glad you had a wonderful day (and peaceful, too, without the huge crowds)

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

This is really the best time to go places...the crowds have gone home for the beginning of school. When you first posted about the Georgia Aquarium several months back, I made myself a note to go visit and by the looks of your great pictures, it's well worth the trip.

TUFFENUF said...

I have been dying to get up there. It is about a 10 hour drive for me, and I will HAVE to go now that I have read your post and seen how beautiful it is!

Seeing Anew said...

Your aquarium shots are just beautiful. The rays and the jellyfish are so beautiful, and the sharks are plain scary! You've made me want to find the nearest aquarium -- hmm I don't know if I'll find one in Ohio :-)