Thursday, February 16, 2006

At the movies II



We are still watching lots of movies. Thank goodness for the Olympics for something to watch on TV. Here are some of the movies we have seen since my last review.


Truly, Madly, Deeply - So-so. Alan Rickman is a ghost. There is WAY too much crying by the girlfriend he left behind to be billed a comedy. Finally picked up at the end.

Must Love Dogs - Loved it! A favorite of mine, John Cusack is great as always, and he and Diane Lane are very funny together. Christopher Plummer, Elizabeth Perkins, and Stockard Channing round out a great cast.

Flightplan - Pretty spooky, but good, moves along quickly. Jodie Foster nails the part as always, a great serious actress.

Dukes of Hazzard - Yet another remake of a TV show, pretty crude and cheesy, the TV show was better.

Notting Hill - One of our favorites, seen for the umpteenth time, we know the lines and deliver them in all the right places - 'I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.' Doesn't get much better.

Fantastic Four - Typical comic book stuff, not as bad as I thought it would be.

Legend of Zorro - Antonio Banderas is undeniably Zorro, and he and Catherine Zeta-Jones sure make a great couple, I bet Melanie hates to watch them together!

Firewall - Harrison Ford is looking his age, but delivered the goods as always. Lots of suspense, action, keeping you wondering til the end how it would turn out. I wonder if I can really hack into the bank computer with my fax machine and ipod?

6 comments:

jellyhead said...

Yes, I'm a sucker for 'Notting Hill'. I still love 'Four Weddings and a Funeral' a bit more, though :)

I've been wanting to see Flight Plan - it's not out here on DVD yet.

Firewall hasn't even come to the cinemas here yet - we are so behind!

Thanks Susan for your recommendations and warnings!

John Cowart said...

Hi Patchwork,

Just visiting by way of your comment to Jellyhead.

I really liked your psoting about the AT. For years my wife and I planned to hike the trail when the kids finally got grown. They did. But we didn't.

Now, we love to sit in rockers in Florida State Parks and watch other people stomp through the bushes.

And the only hike I make now is when the tv remote batteries give out and I have to get up to change channels.

Motherkitty said...

As always, love your movie reviews. We just rented Flightplan, In Her Shoes (very funny and a wonderful vehicle for Toni Collette and Shirley McLain), and something else that is so unforgettable, I forgot the name of the movie. Can't wait to see Flightplan. I agree that Jodie Foster is a marvelous actor. We have been watching her films since she was a very little girl -- what an amazing careet she has had.

Jelly, I agree with you on "Four Weddings" vs "Notting Hill" which I found was a little contrived, but still funny in parts. There's also "The Wedding Planner" and "My Best Friend's Wedding" and other wedding pictures, ad nauseum, the funniest of which are "Meet The Fockers," "In Her Shoes," "50 First Dates," and "The Wedding Crashers." Have they visited this theme enough?

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Thanks for the movie reviews...Now I know what will be good to see.

I usually don't see movies until they are on TV...that is movies for myself. When I go to the movies it's to take my grandson or grand-daughter to see a favorite of theirs.

Wystful1 said...

I came here from another blog I just visited, and saw you like movies!! My hubby and I try to catch the opening day of most movies that sound good. We just went to see Firewall--I was in awe of the house his wife designed (LOLOLOL)....it was much better than Pink Panther that we saw on it's opening day!! I did my "own review of Pink Panther on my blog" I love your movie reviews!!

abe/happy said...

Maybe us Aussies ( or is it just me )have a sick sense of humor - cause I loved Dukes of Hazzard *lol* and Im even gonna buy the DVD *lol*