Wednesday, January 4, 2006

Confederate cannonballs

This building is John B. Gordon Hall in Lafayette, Georgia. The structure, completed in 1836 as the Chattooga Academy, is Georgia's oldest brick school building and is named after Confederate Gen. John B. Gordon, who attended the school as a child and also served as governor of Georgia.

The Civil War (or War Between the States) dated 1861-1865. The North (Union/Yankees/them) fought the South (Confederates/Rebels/us).

Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg made Gordon Hall his headquarters in September 1863. Bragg sat under an oak tree in front of Gordon Hall as he planned his attack on Union forces at Chickamauga. A stack of cannonballs honors him.

3 comments:

jellyhead said...

Now how can ANYONE say blogging is a waste of time. I'm learning history, here! ('Civil War, 1861-1865, 1861-1865, remember this for future games of Trivial Pursuit', I mutter to myself)

I would have never guessed what was in that photo. I think it's a great monument ...much more interesting that the usual statue or plain plaque.

Thanks Susan..you are expanding my horizons, and in such an entertaining way, too!

Motherkitty said...

Grrrr. It was on the tip of my tongue. Don't you just hate it when you think you know the answer but your brain can't make the connection to your writing hand? When I saw the "pile of cannon balls" answer, I went back to the picture and pondered. Could it be?

That was wonderful and great, Susan. You must do more of these intriguing puzzles while on your many side trips. Keeps us old fogies' brains moving, alive, and active. Plus, you could give us little history lessons.

QuiltingFitzy said...

I have NO idea how I guessed it...may be the same reason NO one will play Pictionary with me, lol.