Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Escaping

We went to the movies last night, a favorite pastime of ours, along with eating out (which we did also). We saw The Chronicles of Narnia - The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. I am not usually a fan of fantasy, but enjoyed this movie. Unlike The Lord of the Rings, this one was simple enough for me to understand! Great story, beautiful scenery, basic good versus evil, happy ending, a hint of sequels to come, what more could you ask from a movie? It does have some scary parts and war scenes which might be too much for very young children, but overall I believe it will be loved by all ages. I have not read the book (written in 1950), so I don't know if the movie was true to the original story.

Afterward we ate at Red Lobster next to the theatre and listened to the waiters' excitement about going to see King Kong at midnight! It sounded like great fun, but I will have to see it another time, at an earlier hour. I was doing good to be awake then, and it was before 9!

It is always nice to escape at the movies. Entering the darkened theatre, leaving behind the traffic, shoppers, bad news, work, etc. The popcorn alone is worth the trip!

5 comments:

Motherkitty said...

You're after my own heart. Husband and I LOVE with a passion going to the movies in the afternoon when there are not many others in the cineplex, so no long lines, our pick of the good seats, no listening to everyone talking on their cell phones during the movie, and the popcorn -- it's the best. But, no matter how much popcorn we have, there's always room for dinner out whether it's at Olive Garden, Chongs, Outback, TGI Fridays, or any other nice place to eat. My favorite part, however, is being on a date with hubby. 'Nuff said.

Finn said...

It sounds like such a fun evening. The reviews are good on this movie, and there are more of that series to come. Seems to be the thing to do these days. I'm think maybe the Hobbit is also by that same author.

I'm about an hour from a theater, and haven't gone in years. Luckily everything seems to move to DVD or WHS quite quickly. But the theater experience is part of it that I miss..*S*

Motherkitty said...

Narnia was written by C.S. Lewis and The Hobbit and the three ensuing Lord of the Rings were written by J.R.R. Tolkein.

jellyhead said...

Good to hear you and your hubby have so much fun together. I hope Fatty and I can still be so content after we've been married 30-odd years.

I, too, adore going to the movies. It's definitely a wonderful way to suspend reality for awhile, and of course a great excuse to eat buttery popcorn!

I read all the Narnia books as a little girl, so I'll look forward to seeing The Chronicles of Narnia.

doubleknot said...

Nice that you and your hubby can get out and enjoy an evening.
When I was young - many years ago - I read all the Chronicles of Narnia books over and over. The magic of walking through the wardrobe always had me checking out closets and wardrobes, of which more were around in those days. Lewis is a Christian writter and the books are suppose to have a Christian theme.