Saturday, December 31, 2005

balance...


Imagine life is a game in which you are juggling five balls.

The balls are called work, family, health, friends, and integrity.
And you're keeping all of them in the air.

But one day you finally come to understand that work is a rubber ball.
If you drop it, it will bounce back.

The other four balls -- family, health, friends, integrity -- are made of glass.

If you drop one of these, it will be irrevocably scuffed, nicked,
perhaps even shattered.

And once you truly understand the lesson of the five balls, you will have the beginnings of balance in your life.

-James Patterson in Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas

6 comments:

Finn said...

Oh Susan, this is wonderful! Thank you for sharing that with us. I am retired, so the work ball no longer applies to me, but it's such a beautiful sentiment and ideal to think about. I always like things to think about...*VBS* Happy New Year, may blessings for your family abound !

Seeing Anew said...

Just back from two weeks of visiting family over the holidays and various celebrations, and am now catching up on my favorite blogs. I enjoyed the passage about the five balls -- if only all five weren't made of rubber! I'm eager to return to normal (post-holiday) life!

Alice said...

Food for thought, Susan. I hope you and Buddy and all the family have a wonderfully happy 2006. Keep the family stories coming - I love them.

jellyhead said...

Those are wise words to take into the New Year. Happy 2006!!

Motherkitty said...

Happy New Year, Susan. Loved your post. Makes me want to keep good thoughts all through the year.

Like Finn said, I'm also retired, but the work doesn't stop just because you aren't receiving a paycheck anymore. A woman's work is never done.

Here's hoping that 2006 brings new and interesting posts from all our blogging friends!

jellyhead said...

Susan, I'm terribly sorry about prematurely aging you with my overeager birthday wishes!! It was your previous post that confused me, where you talked about a 60th birthday party given to 'Sue' by her daughters....for some reason I thought you were talking about yourself.

But don't you feel young now, being able to assert yourself as definitely still a '50-something'?!

Apologies again ;)