Wednesday, November 9, 2005

School lunches

Melissa walked into the kitchen the other morning and found all 4 kids packing lunches. She said what are y'all doing? I paid for your lunches for a whole month at school. They promptly pointed to the bulletin board on the kitchen wall (the one with spelling word lists, weekly newsletters from teachers, lists of books to read, football schedule, soccer schedule, basketball schedule, poster contest rules - but most importantly - the school lunch MENU) and said "Chicken Tacos - YUCK." So they packed ham sandwiches, peanut butter crackers, and apples and made it out to catch the bus on time.

I remember eating lunch at school when we lived on the Army base. Every day with the lunch we were given a slice of loaf bread. Some kids actually ate the bread, some would make balls to throw, I remember it being pretty bland, I guess to go along with the warmed up canned veggies etc. with no seasoning. THEN we moved to the country. That first day at Epworth Elementary, I came home telling of the amazing food in the lunchroom. It actually tasted like home cooking. There was either cornbread or yeast rolls every day. Black-eyed peas, spaghetti, all tasting delicious. I remember we always had fish sticks on Friday. I never did like milk, and since there was no other option, I would bring Nestle's Quik in a little bag to pour into my milk carton and shake it up. By high school I guess the food was back to institutional grade, because I always packed my lunch then, always a sandwich, chips, candy bar, and the can of coke that had been placed overnight in the freezer. It was fun eating at a table full of friends, sharing food and laughs. I don't remember ever having chicken tacos, but I might just agree with the kids - sounds like YUCK to me, too.

spring