Monday, January 8, 2018

the pussyhat





Last year on the day after the presidential inauguration, millions of women marched on Washington DC and other cities across the nation and the world. Actively avoiding watching the news (I called it The Trump Show), I did not realize this movement was coming together for this great uprising of women. But apparently lots of folks did know about it, even crafters across the country who were busy making hats for the occasion. I saw the news on January 21st, wow, look at all those women! and WOW look at those cute pussycat hats! 

The Pussyhat Project  - these cozy little hats were part of a movement that began after the November election in anticipation of the Women's March. Started by Krista Suh and Jayna Zweiman, the original idea was for marchers to knit, sew, or crochet hats to create a visual statement  - a " sea of pink" - at the protest in Washington, D.C.  The idea is both a play on pussyhat, pussycat, and also references the infamous hot mic from the Access Hollywood video, where President Trump said it was okay to grab women by the you-know-what. The idea is to use the word 'pussy' in a positive way. It's a pussyhat -- one word, one symbol of unity.

Having felt like I missed out on this historic occasion in 2017 and missed out on making one of those cute hats, I decided to make one this year. Researching the subject, I discovered there is another march this year on January 20-21, 2018. Check to see where a march is near you!

And don't forget to make your hat! There are several Pussyhat Patterns out there to try, I followed the one shown below, with only one change, I used Lion Brand Hometown USA super bulky yarn, and the only change I made to the instructions is Cast On 26 instead of 50. All other instructions are the same and very simple. I told the crafters in the family that I wanted a pussycat hat for Christmas, but they just laughed, though it was something dirty :)



So I am ready to stand up for women everywhere, not at a national march but in silent protest here in rural Kentucky! 

spring