Friday, February 26, 2016

elevation

highest point in LA

I was at the Verizon store, the clerk asked for my address so I told him Burnt Mountain Road

His eyes lit up with surprise and excitement - you live on a mountain? on top of a mountain? on the side of a mountain?

Yep

Wow that's awesome

Yep not many mountains 'round here

No I haven't seen any… ever

You have never seen a mountain?

No, I have never been out of Louisiana

Wow you need to get out more

Back at the camper, just curious, I wonder how far one would have to go to find a mountain, I know there are mountains in Arkansas, the state just north of here. But wait, Louisiana has a mountain, Mount Driskill, highest point in the state at 535 feet.

Pshaw 535 feet? That's no mountain. But it is all relative I suppose, when the elevation where Buddy is building is about 25 feet. Above sea level. 




No, we are not going to make this trek up to Mount Driskill, a Google search will suffice. We sometimes climb mountains on our travels, like the famed Harney Peak hike where the change in elevation made this old lady a tad dizzy… but it topped out at 7244 feet. Above sea level.

So just thankful to have lived so much of my life in the mountains, we take them for granted sometimes, we fret when we cannot drive up them in inclement weather or through them in the clouds.

But there is nothing better than looking out at the view from a mountain or looking up at the mountains from below.

One's mood changes with rise in elevation, changes for the better.

spring