Saturday, January 24, 2015

Making a Landscape Quilt

capturing the mountain landscape

Do you ever walk outside and are completely stunned by the view? The beauty of nature is all around us if we just stop to take it in. Especially here in the mountains of north Georgia. Capturing the mountain landscape happens often around here, hurry grab the camera! But what about trying to save that image in a different medium? Like with fabric, in a quilt.

I have seen beautiful landscape quilts and art quilts at shows and of course online, but have never attempted to make one. I do good to use squares and rectangles.

Then I saw this - Linear Landscape quilt class - offered online at Craftsy. I put it in my shopping cart and there it stayed, waiting for a sale or for more time to open up for yet another project. There may be classes offered somewhere not over the internet, but when you live out in the boondocks or the backwoods (or rural Georgia), class opportunities are few and far between.

If you are in the market for learning a new skill, the internet certainly opened up that window, online you can learn anything from how to fix your washing machine to casting on for a knitting project (two things we have actually done!)

I have taken two online machine quilting classes so far. The classes are informative, user-friendly, have good quality video, I can start and stop and rewind until I get it through my thick head. And I can come back weeks or months later and see it all over again or just watch the part I need to brush up on. Once you buy the class it is yours forever, well as long as there is the internet... and often their classes go on sale just like everything else.

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.~Confucius



~Georgia mountain sunrise photo credit - Carrie Tidwell


spring