Friday, December 5, 2008

looking back

Song, song of the south.
Sweet potato pie and I shut my mouth.
Gone, gone with the wind.
There ain't nobody looking back again.


Song of the South sung by Alabama, heard this song on the radio the other day, got me to thinking...

Sweet potato pie, mmmm - a Southern thing? Much better than pumpkin pie, well sweeter!

Shut my mouth - another Southern thing, as in this list of Southern phrases. Some good ones, check it out!

What about the movie - Song of the South - does anybody remember that?



A classic Disney film released in 1946 based on the Uncle Remus stories by Joel Chandler Harris, the combination live actors with animation was magical.

If you haven't seen it, don't try to find it now, did you know you cannot rent or buy that movie in the US? Disney has declined to release it due to accusations of racism.

But here is a clip of the great song - Zip a dee do dah... Watch and sing along on YouTube (turn up your speakers!) Now you will be singing that all day too.

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Zip-A-Dee-A

My oh my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine heading my way
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Zip-A-Dee-A


Song of the South lyrics, written by Bob McDill.
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah lyrics written by Allie Wrubel and Ray Gilbert


7 comments:

Kerri said...

Love those Disney movies! Isn't it a shame that the movie isn't available for such an idiotic reason? It boggles my mind.
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah,
zip-a-dee-a......
Oh boy, thanks a lot!

dot said...

You can't beat a good sweet tater pie!

Motherkitty said...

I have my name on umpteen lists to try and make Disney release this film. You can find a bootleg copy on the Internet, but who wants anything but the real thing?

Racist? I don't think so. I think they are just waiting until the last minute before it goes into public domain. Then they will release it in 2036 so they can make a lot of money on its release because so many are clamoring for the movie.

June said...

I sing Zip-a dee-doo-dah all the time to our dog Shaynee...I think this started when we were walking once on a glorious and "satisfactual" day. Sorry to hear the movie isn't available any longer. Surely, it didn't affect me in a negative way.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

I love Disney movies and would love to see the really old ones once again.

You're right, I can't get that song out of my head!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I really wanted this at the end of what you quoted:

Wonderful feeling
Wonderful day


Didn't find it in the first of the two links at the bottom, but your very last link has it. Yay!

My aunt Bonnie took me to see that movie when it first came out. We left the movie theater singing the song, but she had to help me with the words. It's the earliest movie I remember seeing, and I loved it mainly because of this song:

Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Zip-A-Dee-A

My oh my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine heading my way
Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah
Zip-A-Dee-A

Wonderful feeling
Wonderful day

ET said...

Hey!
I bought several Song of the South DVDs and one AMOS & ANDY DVD (also unavailable) at a booth in a flea-market ex 5&10cent store in Dahlonega (?) a couple of years ago and it looks like they had plenty.