Monday, April 14, 2008

collections


It is time to think about Spring cleaning,
lifting the layers of winter dust,
uncluttering the clutter,
out with the stale, in with the fresh Spring air.




They say our homes are an extension of ourselves,
looking around this old house, I see

the still hands of the cypress clock,
seashells from Florida, posters from vacation,
collections of books, coins, mugs, cobwebs





school yearbooks, half finished craft projects,
quilts, bears, boxes and albums filled with pictures,
files of paper, dust, record albums, movies, souvenirs





photos on dusty shelves of dead relatives,
pictures of prom, homecoming, families, babies,
walls filled with handmade treasures



Material possessions just waiting for the next generation.

You know what else they say - you can't take it with you...


You don’t bring nothing with you here
And you can’t take nothing back
I ain’t never seen a hearse
with a luggage rack
~lyrics by George Strait



~inspiration for Spring cleaning - a great list of 56 things you can toss out now

~disclaimer - the list is real, stuff actually seen here at the house, the photos were taken July 2007 at Mentone Springs Hotel, Alabama

7 comments:

June said...

Since I'm a fan of walking around "antique" shops and seeing things from another time, I loved the line "material possessions just waiting for the next generation". And too, the list of things to throw away. It had me lol...so true, so true! We did do some cleaning out this spring. It was hard letting go...even though "it" hadn't been used or missed in months or years, there's always that thought of despair before discarding it. I guess we're all hoarders at heart. Thanks for the lyric to help me. I'd not ever seen the line with the luggage rack reference before.

dot said...

Things can really accumulate if you don't watch out. I found that as I got older and tired of dusting I don't save as much.
Thanks for the great shot on my Picture This blog! It's actually going to be hard not to comment when I see a picture like that but then it will take me to the person's blog so that will be nice too.

Gypsy Quilter said...

Is Mentone Alabama where they hold a big craft fair?

Lilli & Nevada said...

Came over from Picture This Blog, to see what you have. Loved the photo you posted
Wow that is a lot of stuff, Antiques has never been my thing, but have always liked it in other peoples home.
I need to do a lot of cleaning of stuff around here.

Andrea said...

I too came over from Picture This. Love the collections.

ga.farmgirl said...

I agree with a lot of the comments. I am in the process of spring cleaning stuff I am tired of dusting. I should be doing that right now, instead of blogging around the world. Lol...enjoyed my visit here. Thanks for visiting me too.

Sandy said...

I've been doing a little spring cleaning myself, but it's hard to let go of anything except the dust bunnies and the cobwebs.