Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Chickamauga

Gordon-Lee Mansion


On my quest to play tourist before leaving this area, I set out for the little town of Chickamauga, Georgia on Saturday. This town is full of Civil War history, near the Chickamauga Battlefield National Park.

My first stop was the Gordon-Lee Mansion, built by James Gordon in the 1840s. The house served as headquarters for Union General Rosecrans, and also as a hospital during the battle. It is now a bed and breakfast, and on the day I was there it looked like they were setting up for a wedding.

On the way to the main street shops, I passed by the D. A. Jewell house, built in 1907. It is for sale if anyone is looking for a little getaway place.

On the main street I found several references to the Civil War, Mountain City Mercantile has Civil War clothing, Oh! Fiddle-Dee Shoppe with quilts and nostalgic items, and Scarlett's Tea Room with the Frankly My Dear suite upstairs.

Walker County Regional Heritage Museum resides in the old Depot building. The museum displays Civil War artifacts, arrowheads, and a large display of Lionel Old Gauge model trains.

I was asked a couple of times if I had arrived on the train, which puzzled me at first, but then I saw a line of folks disembarking. Tennessee Valley Railroad has a trip from Chattanooga to Chickamauga that stops at the old depot for tourists to shop.

Chickamauga is a wonderful little town, all the shopkeepers are very friendly, a great place to visit or even to call home.

~click picture above for full album

spring