Thursday, January 18, 2007

passing it down

Is there a Grandmother Handbook out there somewhere?


My interpretation is to try to pass on the handcrafts that I learned as a young girl - sewing, crocheting, knitting, embroidery. Hand it down, impart that knowledge. The great part is - the kids love it and are quick learners.

Sarah and Madison come up on Wednesdays for an hour or so. Last week I pulled out several books on different handcrafts and told them to pick a project to work on these cold winter days. They both picked patchwork quilting.

Sarah found a picture she really liked, and Madison had an idea of what she wanted to do with squares. They raided the fabric closet and both came up with what they needed.


I told them the first step was to get out the graph paper and crayons, to plan what they wanted to do, placement of blocks, colors, etc.



When they came back yesterday I had all the fabric cut for them and they started laying out the blocks, then on to the sewing machine!



They tired of hearing me say slow down and be careful and reminding them of sewing my finger at their age. They got a few blocks sewed together, and didn't want to leave. To be continued next week…

An hour with your grandchildren can make you feel young again. Anything longer than that, and you start to age quickly. ~Gene Perret

spring