Monday, November 13, 2006

this old tractor



There's just a greasy spot there now, where the tractor usually sits.

I am not sure of the history of this old tractor, except that it was once my dad's. He used it when we moved to the mountains, to plant a garden, scrape the gravel driveway. It then came to us, we have used it to also scrape the driveway, pull logs out of the woods for firewood.

The 1964 Ford tractor is in the tractor hospital. The call came with the bad news - the tractor might not make it through this time. Old parts worn out, new ones won't work. Decisions to be made. Tractor hospice? Yard ornament? Tractor for sale? Delegated to the special place behind the shop with the other retirees - cement mixer, hot tub, satellite dish?

8 comments:

Motherkitty said...

Don't you just hate it when old things aren't worth fixing anymore? I usually find the old things have more character and I want to hang onto them more than buying a new thing. (That's why I now have a newer minivan -- the old 1993 Mazda MPV became too expensive to keep fixing and couldn't get the parts.)

I guess you could sell this lovely piece of machinery and history to some old tractor afficionado (collector) or you could add it to your junk heap out behind the barn. Oh well, out with the old and in with the new. Didn't Disney make a cartoon years ago about old cars ending up in the junk heap?

Anonymous said...

Yard ornament - I can see it with pumpkins and gourds as well as with sping potted plants...

Finn said...

Hi Susan, just dropping by to say hello, and hope you and yours are doing well...*VBS* Love the old tractor story.
Things are good with me and my overweight black cat in a white bikini...LOL Hugs, Finn

Motherkitty said...

I forgot to suggest that you could make a mailbox out of it. I've seen them made from old timey plows and other objects of art. Why not an old tractor.

doubleknot said...

It is sad to have to let go of something that has history with it. I like Motherkitty's suggestion - a mail box - now wouldn't that be a sight.

bluemountainmama said...

if it were me, i'd keep it. i love old farm implements. i like both mother kitty's and calico cat's suggestions. there's a home down the road from us who have an old farm truck sitting out and they use the bed of the truck for a flower bed.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

My condolences for your tractor.
But here at Renfro Valley, Kentucky every year they have an old tractor and machinery show...perhaps you could sell it for parts to a collector. I'm sure it still have some good usable parts left.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Typos, typos, typos...don't you just hate them? "Have" above in the last sentence, should be "has" (in previous comment).