Friday, July 14, 2006

breath of fresh air


It is mid summer here in the South, in the 90s, and of course we have the air conditioner on. It makes the house nice and comfortable for working, living, and sleeping. But early morning before it gets too hot, I am drawn outside - to take a walk, or sit on the deck, in the unconditioned air. The air smells and feels different outside, not too heavy yet with unbearable humidity, but with a fresh palpable feeling, an essence all its own.

Sitting in my porch rocker, the leaves overhead slowly dance in the summer breeze. The sun in the low eastern sky just peaks over the mountain. An occasional bird calls. There is the buzz and twitter of hummingbirds as they check out the feeders and flowers. And of course by being outside there is a better chance of seeing a deer or butterfly…

The only break in the peace and quiet is an occasional car on the road below, and of course that noisy air conditioner…

~photo - blue butterfly/orange impatiens, front deck, 8 July 2006

10 comments:

John Cowart said...

Your post makes me feel peaceful.
I saved your beautiful photo of the blue butterfly on my desktop for today.
Thanks.

Motherkitty said...

Susan, I hope you take your camera with you on those early-morning sitdowns on the deck. You never know what strange creature will come calling.

As always, I love your posts. They are so poetic, soothing, and romantic in a woodsy kind of way.

"Grandi" said...

Your pictures are so wonderful!! You have an artistic soul! Thank you for the beautiful word picture too!

Tammy said...

Now that the hummingbirds have to come to the feeder on my patio, I can hear their little cheep, cheep...I never knew they made that noise when I lived in Ky...the feeder was a little further away from where I sat on the deck.
How did people ever do it without air conditioners??
:-D

Finn said...

Beautiful post Susan...I'm with you. I used to love to step out into the screened porch on an early summer morning and have my coffee and greet the day..*VBS*

Alice said...

Such a lovely picture you paint of peace and contentment. The butterfly on the flowers is nature's perfection.

TUFFENUF said...

beautiful butterfly photo! Thanks for posting it!

Seeing Anew said...

What a great shot of that butterfly! Is it a black swallowtail I wonder? Your post makes me want to get up early tomorrow morning. How early is "early" for you?

susan said...

Thanks for all the comments, it is the beautiful subject matter of my photo that makes it great, not the photographer! John, use any photos you want, glad you like. Judith, not sure what kind of butterfly - just blue! How early is early? We get up at 5 a.m. here, but a good time to go outside is between 7-7:30. After working for an hour or so, all the coffee is gone by then, but it is a good time for a bowl of cheerios on the deck!

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

You painted a very lovely picture and I almost felt as if I was there. Your photography of the blue butterfly was also pretty.