Saturday, March 4, 2006

changin' times

When out driving around the countryside, I found this old house.


Abandoned now, it was probably once a farm house, with chickens in the yard and rows of corn out back, maybe some cows, probably acres and acres of fields and lots of kids to play and work in them. They probably lived a long way from any store or town and grew all their own food and made their own clothes. Just look at that great porch, probably many an evening was spent there rocking or swinging or shelling peas.

Times are a changin', progress, you know. Wonder what those folks would think if they looked out from the porch today?

5 comments:

Motherkitty said...

Awesome. Come back next week and they will probably have a shopping center or a million-dollar house built on that land. That's progress.

doubleknot said...

Somewhere I think there are still places like the old house - still thriving and living. With all the growth around were I live I have to hold out hope that there are still some places like that.
I didn't have a porch but I had chickens and rabbits in the back yard - goats and pigs down by the workshop and the neighbors cows provided enough excitment for the neighborhood. Can't remember when I last shelled a pea. Thanks for bringing back some of the more pleasant memories.

Finn said...

Good Morning Susan, love your post today..*S* Those old abandoned houses and barns dot the WI landscape also. Especially if they are on marginal land...not big enough or fertile enough for a good crop. It's sad to me..thinking of the family who lived there, rose to the daily challenge of life, and made memories. time....yes, it seems to come down to time...tick,tick,tick... Hugs, Finn

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

I do the same thing when I see an old falling down house...I imagine the family that once lived there and all about their daily lives and how happy they must have been. Thanks for sharing the two photos, well actually one.

jellyhead said...

I love the sagging line of the roof - such a sweet old house. Wouldn't it be lovely if someone could resurrect it?