Monday, February 27, 2006

work in progress...

Y'all Come Geocaching

Starting a new blog to chronicle our geocaching adventures. We have been geocaching for a year now, and I will go back and add all the past memorable caches as soon as I can.

What is geocaching?

A hobby/sport finding hidden objects with a hand-held GPS unit.

How does geocaching work?
  • A Geocacher carefully chooses a location and hides a container which has been filled with items to trade and a logbook. He determines the coordinates for the container cache (latitude and longitude) by using the hand-held GPS unit. He then registers his new cache on GEOCACHING.COM to share it with the rest of the world

  • Another Geocacher can look up caches by entering a zip/postal code into GEOCACHING.COM. After receiving the coordinates and other information from the website, this Geocacher uses a hand-held GPS to look for the cache. The GPS receives signals from the Global Positioning System satellites to give the user their current longitude and latitude. However, the Geocacher has no idea of the altitude of the cache location or the terrain or what kind of structure the cache container might be hidden in. This is part of the challenge of finding the cache!

  • The finder takes something from the container as a memento of their visit, leaves something for the next player, signs the logbook and returns the container to its hiding place. Later, they will log their visit on GEOCACHING.COM so that others can read about their adventure.

10 comments:

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

Very nice new blog and very nice pictures. I have added it to my favorites list for now and will link to it later. I'll have to go back & catch up on reading it.

Camellia in June will be very interested in your geocaching...her family likes to get out on great adventures like that...the only thing she doesn't have a GPS. Can you geocache without one?

doubleknot said...

Oh I have to go back to your geocaching blog and follow the links. It is so interesting and the pictures are great. What a wonderful thing your and your hubby have in common to do.
On the cornbread - just realized I haven't made any in a while now my mouth is watering.

Finn said...

What a grand idea...good thinking on your part..*VBS*

Alice said...

Please, Miss - what is geochaching?

Presumably it's something I've never done, or perhaps it has another name? If it's done with a 4 wheel-drive vehicle, then I know I haven't done it.

Motherkitty said...

Susan, have bookmarked your new site and scanned through the pictures, which are gorgeous. I will go back and read the posts I haven't read yet (I probably have but they were so interesting the first time, that I know I will enjoy them again).

You and hubby always look like you are having so much fun. And, GA is such a beautiful state. Aren't you lucky to live there?

Seeing Anew said...

Geocaching looks like so much fun - you probably find so many interesting places to hike that way. I enjoyed your photos.

Abandoned in Pasadena said...

If you find your cache by longitude and latitude then why can't you just use a compass to locate the cache?

My husband taught me & the kids how to find our way home with merely giving us the longitude and latitude and dropping us off in some remote location...we always managed to find our way home. Surprise We're Home!

jellyhead said...

Ah, so THAT'S what geocaching is! I was too embarrassed to ask, as it seemed everyone else knew what you were talking about.

It sounds like a great way to keep fit in both body and mind. (Is that why you look so young, Susan?!)

Alice said...

Geocaching sounds rather like a very modern form of a 'sport' that still has participants in England. I'm very sketchy about the details but I think it's most carried out up on the moors. People hide log books in particular rocks, which others find and sign and I think the contest is to find the most books in a period of time. As I said - I'm sketchy on details. I think it's called something like 'Postboxing'. Perhaps some readers may be able to enlighten us?

susan said...

Thanks all for your nice comments.

Abandoned, you may can do it without a GPS, give it a try and let me know!

Alice, I believe it is called letterboxing, and is similar.