Friday, December 2, 2005

You better watch out!

Example


You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town!


He's making a list
And checking it twice
Gonna find out
Who's naughty and nice
Santa Claus is coming to town!

He sees when you are sleeping
He knows when you're awake
He knows when you've been bad or good
So be good for goodness sake!

You better watch out
You better not cry
You better not pout
I'm telling you why
Santa Claus is coming to town!


This familiar song was written by J. Fred Coots and Haven Gillespie, and the original version of it was recorded on September 27, 1935 by Joe Harris with Benny Goodman & His Orchestra. When the kids are acting up this time of year, you can hear mothers everywhere breaking out into song (this song), using it to try to bribe the kiddies to be good. Hope it works this year!

4 comments:

jellyhead said...

Unfortunately I can't use this threat/bribe. Benjamin is quite scared of the idea of a bushy-bearded man coming to our house in the night, so would be quite happy to bypass Christmas. Laura has already questioned me extensively until I could distort the truth no longer and admitted YES, SANTA IS REALLY MUMMY AND DADDY.
(I know this is terrible of me, everyone has told me I shouldn't have done this, but I find it tricky - how do you teach your kids they mustn't tell fibs, but then perpetuate a falsity for years and years? In any case, it's done now!)

Finn said...

Love that old song..had no idea when it was written or song by..thank you for filling in that blank for me...*VBS*

My kids prefer that I DON'T sing, but if they are naughty, I just might give them a verse of "Christmas is coming, the goose if getting fat..." they all run for cover when I start..LOL
It's good to know what works *G*

Seeing Anew said...

I can remember singing this in elementary school at Christmas time -- I don't think there was any Christmas song that could get us more wound up than this one!

doubleknot said...

You may call me a hum bug but I never encouraged my kids to believe that some strange man was going to leave free gifts for us. They liked Santa Claus and waited for Xmas to arrive but they knew where the presents came from and what hard work brought them. If I had burst into song I think they would have told me to stop.