Thursday, November 17, 2005

Daydream Believer

A commercial came on TV last night, I don't remember what it was about, but the soundtrack was 'Daydream Believer' by the Monkees. Memories came flooding back, like only hearing a song will do. All of us young girls were in love with Davy Jones, with the long hair and beautiful smile. It was a silly show, but fun to watch. It was 1966. The TV Guide in the picture says 15 cents, which gives you an idea of the times. My brother was 17 and listening to the Beatles and Roger Miller. I was 12 when the show started, in 7th grade at Epworth Elementary (no middle schools back then). It was a carefree time, hanging out with friends at school or on the bus. Now I cannot get the song out of my head.

Oh I could hide 'neath the wings of the bluebird as she sings
The six o'clock alarm would never ring
But it rings and I rise, wipe the sleep out of my eyes
My shaving razor's cold and it stings

Cheer up, sleepy Jean, oh what can it mean
To a daydream believer and a homecoming queen?

3 comments:

Finn said...

That's so cool...LOL..you are soooooooooooo much younger than I, but I have always loved that song and many others of it's time.
I fall into that generation just were just a tat too old for Elvis and the Beatles, rock and roll sort of missed me..LOL.

How neat that you heard the song again and the memories come rushing in. They are pieces in your scrapbag my deat...isn't it nice to have one..*VBS*

abe/happy said...

Hi Susan, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog about the Perry house.

Im going to throw my patchwork quilt on the line and take a picture, I took one a few years ago but I cant find it.
Im busy making "shabby chic" style patchwork cushin covers, my own designs for xmas and they are looking great.

you asked what part of the globe we are in ~ we live in Mt Gambier, Australia.

Bye

doubleknot said...

1966 - wow - do you remember when they said the Monkees were corrupting the teenagers and wanted to take them off TV? I remember signing a petition to keep them on the air.
Skip a generation and my daughter loved the Monkees - she had every thing they did. Isn't it funny how mild that music seems now compared to some of what is done today?