Tuesday, November 12, 2019

starter quilt


I could hear the yellow double wedding ring quilt top pleading to get out of the musty cardboard box. I finally responded and released it from captivity. Ahhh fresh air! Sunshine!  But wait, it was still an unfinished quilt top, a vintage UFO made by Buddy's grandmother. I had just finished 4 quilts left from Ms. Thomas when she passed, is there a pattern here? Sewing for ghosts? I see dead people…

Anyway, my idea for the yellow DWR was to give it to Michelle, great-granddaughter of the quilt maker. I ran the idea by family members (do not assume, always ask) and everyone was fine with it. I showed it to Michelle to see if she wanted it and she said that yellow was her favorite color. So the process had started, but who will quilt it? Me?  I don't know, the size of 102 x 90 was overwhelming to me.

If only my favorite quilter lady was still here. But I have just retired and there is really no excuse for me not to JustDoIt. I was still agonizing over how to attempt such a big project, when overnight I had a light bulb moment - cut the quilt in half or quarters and quilt the smaller pieces then sew them back together. I ran this by Buddy, explaining that it is an acceptable way of making quilts, called 'quilt as you go' which means you could quilt a block at a time then sew them together, albeit may not encompass cutting up a perfectly fine large vintage hand stitched quilt top… but it would turn out fine I am sure.  Buddy also had an overnight idea - why not take off a row or two, making a smaller quilt and one easier to handle, incorporating the other 'rings' into another quilt or more than one, like using something old to make something new. He said kind of like that recipe that was going around for a while, something about a starter? Sour dough starter? Yes like that.

I really liked that idea! I asked Michelle what size her bed is - full size - so that helped my decision to cut it down. It started out 5 rings wide x 6 rings long, I cut off 2 rows, now it is 4 rings wide x 5 rings long, 72 x 90. I had some poly batting 72 x 90, and had a sheet for the backing (frugal quilter = use what you have).  The DWR top was so puckered, I tried to stretch and pull, but never did get it to lie flat. So I just did some straight lines through the rings and let the curved pieces be free to fall where they may. Maybe I should have taken it to a professional?  But it is out of the cardboard box and will soon be into the hands of family, for Michelle made by her great-grandmother, Two Mama.

"Better finished than perfect."

When we first showed the unfinished quilt top to Michelle, it was mentioned that it was a double wedding ring pattern, and Michelle said, "Well, I will never have a wedding ring :)" So I decided to name it something else. Just because it started out in Two Mama's mind as a DWR doesn’t mean it has to stay that. (I also did this for Jenny's lavender one  - called it the Circle of Life.)

Anyway this one is The Yellow Quilt Road with this for a label (Michelle recently moved back to the old homeplace to help care for her dad):




It just came out of the wash and it doesn't look too bad! The puckers look more puffy now, and puffy is good for a quilt! Whew! Check that one off the list. One more thing out of my sewing room and into the hands of family. And hopefully I will stop hearing voices...


spring