Thursday, October 31, 2019

going out of business


Going Out Of Business

I don't need a set of rules for style, I have my own style.

The only foot pedal I need now is the one in my car to go places, see things, visit family and friends.

The earphones can be put to use listening to pod casts, TED talks, audio books.

I can program my word expander for fun words like NP for National Parks or GK for grandkids, instead of the ever popular WNL 'within normal limits' or SOB 'shortness of breath'.

I can finally can get out of this chair, get moving, hiking. My eyes can finally tear away from this screen, see landscapes and mountains and friendly faces. My hands can leave this keyboard and create fun quilts and hold babies and bake cookies.

Things I won't miss:
doctors mumbling
doctors dictating while eating
doctors rattling the pages of a chart into the mic
STAT reports
carpal tunnel
neck stiffness
doctors dictating while driving
background noise…a liquid dropping from a high place into a pool of liquid… (fingers crossed he is just getting a glass of water)

The first day of the rest of my life. The end of an era, the working era, the paycheck era.

RETIREMENT!

For as long as I have been a transcriptionist, there have been predictions of our jobs being obsolete, being out-sourced or replaced by VR (voice recognition) software. Well it finally happened, the docs we type for just transitioned to VR… YAY!  I was planning to retire at the end of the year anyway, so a few weeks early is not a problem.

What is VR? On your phone have you ever tried the talk-to-text mode (talking and your phone types what you say), and it sometimes types the weirdest things? Yep that's about it. So instead of personal typists for all these docs, now they have their computer and are saving so much $$, but in return are getting things like in a recent report 'CAN ASSAULT'  instead of KENNESAW. Oh well you get what you pay for, not my problem anymore!

RETIREMENT!!!!


spring