Saturday, January 4, 2020

Sewing Susan



I’ve had a few people show interest in learning to sew etc.,so let’s do it! 

What prompted this idea? 

What would you like to learn to do?

sewing machine
mending
make a quilt
embroidery
knitting
crochet

I sent this email out to grandkids and nieces, heard back from them: 

Sarah:
Sewing machine & crochet for me!
Eventually would like to learn embroidery as well.
Prompt: need to get off my phone/get away from working so much :)

Allison:
I know how to use a machine, but need a refresher course (it’s been 7 years!)
Quilting and cross stitch for me! 
(I also did cross stitch when I was little, but that was the learner kits for kids and I haven’t done that since I was maybe 9?)

Nicole:
I know nothing about sewing or how to use a machine. I'm a total newbie. I think I remember how to sew a button by hand onto jeans from middle school home economics, but that's about it. 
I would love to learn how to mend, sew aprons, alter clothes (because who wants to pay $12 to hem a pair of jeans?) and maybe even how to make my own clothes, especially dresses for Lilliana.  I'd also like to be a bit more self sufficient and learn how to sew and embroider basic household items like towels. 
I can't wait to learn and get creative with everyone! 
I have a borrowed one (sewing machine) from mom. It's a singer brand.   

Leah:
I’d love to learn knitting and sewing.  


If you want to crochet:
Here is my Crochet tutorial I made a few years ago (this is how Madison learned), 8 lessons, start with #1, if you want to try this on your own. Otherwise will do in person! 

Those of you who have sewing machines, the first thing is to figure out how they  work (hopefully you have instructions and accessories like bobbins). If you do not have a machine, you can use mine. I am available this weekend to start this, maybe just 2 people at a time at first to see how it goes :) 

~granma Susan


spring