Sunday, August 25, 2019

old friends


Yesterday I drove back in time, down Harpertown Hill into the little town of McCaysville, out the other side to visit Wilma and Dwayne.

Wilma has been cleaning out her mom's house since she passed away and discovered some quilt tops in need of finishing, hence one of the reasons for my visit. We spread them out on the guest room bed and matched up colored sheets to use for the backing. I have a stash of quilt batting bought on sale years ago, to use in retirement. I recently checked my stock and had 4 twin size batts. I told Wilma that apparently I bought these 4 to be used in the future when she called me about these 4 quilt tops…stranger things at work here.

We got out and drove around, passed by some places where Wilma lived over the years, she moved a lot! The one I remember most was in Kingtown, we would walk from there down the hill to the Tastee Freeze on Saturdays, oftentimes with curlers in our hair preparing for a night dancing at the canteen. What a sight we must have been, oh for a picture of that!

She wanted to visit to our old homeplace out on Galloway Road. I can hear my mom's voice now, "I want 50 acres in the country with a house in the middle so I can't see any neighbors!" (this after living in Army housing most of her adult life). So we followed the now paved road (wow!) and to the house that my dad built on top of the hill in the late 60s. Since then, other houses have popped up, in our old pasture, garden, one up where the shop used to be, one where the old radiator shop was, it was surreal driving through there. Although the main road is paved now, the driveway is no better, still narrow and gravel and prone to washout. Some things change, some things stay the same.

We strolled around town, McCaysville and Copperhill, drove by the old YMCA building where the dances were on Saturday night, now the City Hall. The shopping places of our childhood are gone, we could spend hours in Williamson's 5 and 10 for school supplies or toys, then for school shoes to Jabaleys next door. Shopping for clothes meant a trip to the fabric store over in Copperhill. There was the jewelry store that sold 45 records for $1 back in the day, the A and P grocery store is still there, just with a different name. The stores now are more touristy, catering to the 'train people'. The scenic train from Blue Ridge arrives while we are eating lunch and aforementioned 'train people' file by the window to see the quaint little town.


Back at their house, we pulled out the old yearbooks and even some report cards. Looking at the old faces, trying to remember them in school, who were they dating then, did they stay together, which ones are gone too soon.


Dwayne is enjoying his retirement, working some when he wants to, fishing at least once a week, hunting during season, I heard fishing and hunting stories and there were even pictures!  Wilma is still working, she loves her job and will continue to work for now, even though (as Dwayne pointed out) she is having a birthday next week - 66!!!


I left with home canned green beans and fresh tomatoes and a good feeling of connecting with old friends.


afterthoughts:


Oh and we of course reminisced about that night we picked up those 2 guys from Atlanta and took them home with us…

AND almost forgot, on the way out (with my green beans) Wilma asked if I knew how to cook these?  Well duh but you tell me anyway Wilma.

Wilma: You get some bacon grease. Do you have bacon grease?

Dwayne: We were almost out and I had to go buy some the other day.

Me: You buy bacon grease? Where?

Dwayne: Up at the biscuit place, I bought a gallon for $1.

Me (thinking): OMG your arteries!

Wilma: Anyway, you heat the bacon grease and then open the beans, pour off water and rinse 2 times. Add dry beans to bacon grease (do not add any water) and heat.

Me:  Thanks y'all!

spring