Friday, October 28, 2016

checking out


parenting in the checkout line

It all started out when we were newlyweds, living in our first apartment south of Atlanta. Standing in the checkout line at Richway or Zayre or someplace like that… way before Wal-Mart… thoughts on parenting.

The checkout line is the worst place for parents, everything at kid eye level, mostly candy.

The pleading and whining starts then the crying. Yes that day back when we stood there, probably still in our late teens, and heard this line that resonated loud and clear: "If you don't stop crying, I will GIVE you something to cry about!" 

Oh and that worked so well to stop the tears, NOT.

Just the other day I was in the line at Wal-Mart and from the buggy behind me the little girl wanted something displayed to eat. Her father went into a long list of why she did not need that - you just ate a hamburger and fries and ice cream and that is bad for your body blah blah. I just smiled and was thankful that I am past that time in my life.

I saw this online - foam core dividers installed by Dad to keep the peace with triplets - and thought it might also be a good idea for checkout line buggies - what do you think?


2 comments:

motherkitty said...

Ah, modern parenthood, isn't it wonderful? I, too, am thankful I'm past all that, but here come the grandkids. And, here we go again, the never-ending cycle of life in the Walmart line.

Gypsy Quilter said...

And then there are the parents who allow their children to pick up and handle many items before they get to check out. Leaving hordes of germs in their wake. As if stores aren't germ-ridden already. Ugga. But that's what happens after typing reports for Infectious Disease. We "know" what's out there. Shiver.